Effects of a gamma ray burst on earth

In summary, a recent study published in Astrobiology suggests that a gamma ray burst (GRB) at the South Pole could have played a role in the Ordovician extinction. However, the study's negative results are still important in understanding the potential effects of a GRB on Earth's atmosphere. The study is based on atmospheric modeling and is an expansion of previous research on the topic. Further evidence and research is needed to fully understand the significance of the study's findings.
CapnGranite
http://phys.org/news/2016-10-deadly-nearby-gamma-ray.html
How deadly would a nearby gamma ray burst be?
The original paper in Astrobiology is locked, but this summary is pretty complete.

"A burst at the South Pole fits in with theories of the Ordovician extinction because the measured extinction rates match the models that predicts latitude-dependent biological damage."

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
At this time all there seems to be is a model based on various aspects of space and atmospheric science. I don't know enough of the nuances of the Ordovician extinction to say that there is more evidence in support of the model than the way the extinction traveled. The next step in linking a GRB to the extinction would be to find other GRB evidence on Earth at the time of the extinctions, or evidence and proxies for any GRB effects on Earth at any time. This model is an expansion of
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/starsgalaxies/gammaray_extinction.html, in 2005. "The strength of their work is their atmospheric modeling -- essentially a "what if" scenario." Prof. Melott at U. Kansas writes many papers like that and I like them for a starting point for speculations. So, I don't know what's significant and what isn't.

By that I mean what's significant about anything presented in the new paper.

Thanks for that link. It's hard to discuss a paper for which you can present only the abstract or the media highlight. Once I've downloaded a PDF, I don't usually
remember if it was locked or open access.

Likes Fervent Freyja

Related to Effects of a gamma ray burst on earth

1. What is a gamma ray burst?

A gamma ray burst is a powerful burst of high-energy electromagnetic radiation that is emitted from a distant source in the universe.

2. How does a gamma ray burst affect Earth?

A gamma ray burst does not have a significant impact on Earth. Most of the gamma rays are absorbed by Earth's atmosphere, and the remaining energy is too weak to cause any harm.

3. Can a gamma ray burst cause mass extinction?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that a gamma ray burst could cause a mass extinction event on Earth. However, if a gamma ray burst were to occur in close proximity to Earth, it could potentially have damaging effects on the ozone layer and disrupt the Earth's magnetic field.

4. Are there any known gamma ray bursts near Earth?

There have been several gamma ray bursts observed in distant galaxies, but none have been observed in the Milky Way galaxy, where Earth is located.

5. Can we protect ourselves from a potential gamma ray burst?

Currently, there is no technology or method that can protect Earth from a gamma ray burst. However, the likelihood of a gamma ray burst occurring near Earth is extremely low, so there is no need for concern.