Effect of Oxygen Addition on Chlorination for Manganese Removal in Well Water

• Thread starter dana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, chlorination in aerated water is the process of adding chlorine to water that has been aerated or exposed to air. This is done to disinfect and make the water safe for consumption by killing harmful bacteria and microorganisms. It is typically done by adding chlorine gas, liquid, or solid to the water in carefully measured amounts. While there are some potential risks associated with chlorination, it is generally considered safe and highly effective in reducing the spread of waterborne diseases. However, it is not a guaranteed method of removing all contaminants from water and may need to be combined with other treatment methods in some cases.
dana
I want to remove manganese (0.7 mg/l) by aearation, from well water in an plant in which I have only chlorination sistem.Will the oxigen adition affect the action of cl2? On which point I should be careful?
I want to make oxygenation in the same tank in witch i will make the chlorination.
Would the chlorination have to suffer (cl2 would evaporate) if i make chlorination in water with oxygena added?
I want to add 0.3 mg 02 per water liter.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Final equilibrium depends on things dissolved in water, so I doubt in a simple answer.

Related to Effect of Oxygen Addition on Chlorination for Manganese Removal in Well Water

1. What is chlorination in aerated water?

Chlorination in aerated water is the process of adding chlorine to water that has been aerated or exposed to air. This is done to disinfect and kill any harmful bacteria or microorganisms that may be present in the water.

2. Why is chlorination used in aerated water?

Chlorination is used in aerated water as a method of water treatment to make it safe for consumption. It helps to kill harmful bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms that can cause waterborne diseases.

3. How is chlorination in aerated water done?

Chlorination in aerated water is usually done by adding chlorine in the form of a gas, liquid, or solid to the water. This can be done at a water treatment plant or by using household chlorine bleach. The amount of chlorine added is carefully measured to ensure that it is enough to kill harmful bacteria but not enough to be harmful to humans.

4. Are there any risks associated with chlorination in aerated water?

While chlorination in aerated water is generally considered safe, there are some potential risks. Chlorine can react with other substances in the water to form disinfection byproducts, which can be harmful if consumed in large quantities. However, these byproducts are usually found in very low levels and are not considered a significant health risk.

5. Is chlorination in aerated water effective?

Yes, chlorination in aerated water is a highly effective method of water treatment. It has been used for over a century and has greatly reduced the spread of waterborne diseases such as cholera and typhoid. However, it is important to note that chlorination is not a guaranteed method of removing all contaminants from water, and other treatment methods may be necessary in some cases.