What Are Key Factors in Plant Water Movement and Vascular Cambium Locations?

In summary, the factors in the movement of water through a plant do not include the influence of plant hormones on cell expansion, a vascular cambium can be found in both herbaceous and woody dicots, and the developmental process of transforming a fertilized egg into a plant involves growth, morphogenesis, and cellular differentiation.
rocsfinest762
I have 3 biology questions that I don't know the answer to...I have guesses on some of them, but I want to make sure of it before I hand in the questions to my teacher. I think 1 is B. For 2, I know that vascular cambia are found in gymnosperms and dicots. I'm not sure at all about 3.

1) All of the following are factors in the movement of water through a plant except...
a) hydrogen bonds linking water molecules
b) the influence of plant hormones on cell expansion
c) capillary action
d) root pressure
e) evaporation of water from the leaves

2) In which of the following is a vascular cambium most likely to be found?
a) herbaceous dicots only
b) woody dicots only
c) monocots only
d) herbaceous and woody dicots
e) monocots and herbaceous dicots

3) Which developmental process transforms a fertilized egg into a plant?
a) growth
b) morphogenesis
c) cellular differentiation
d) only a and c are correct
e) a,b, and c are correct

Physics news on Phys.org

I would be happy to help answer your questions! Here are the correct answers to your questions:

1) The correct answer is b) the influence of plant hormones on cell expansion. Plant hormones do play a role in water movement, but they primarily affect the opening and closing of stomata, not cell expansion.

2) The correct answer is d) herbaceous and woody dicots. Vascular cambium is found in both herbaceous and woody dicots, as well as gymnosperms.

3) The correct answer is e) a, b, and c are correct. All of these processes (growth, morphogenesis, and cellular differentiation) are involved in transforming a fertilized egg into a plant.

I cannot provide direct answers to these questions as it goes against the principles of scientific inquiry. However, I can provide some guidance and resources to help you find the correct answers.

For question 1, it is important to understand the factors involved in the movement of water through a plant. Some key words to research would be transpiration, cohesion, adhesion, and root pressure. These concepts are all related to the movement of water in plants and can help you eliminate incorrect options.

For question 2, it is important to know the types of plants that have a vascular cambium. This tissue is responsible for secondary growth in plants and is found in woody dicots and gymnosperms. It is not present in monocots or herbaceous dicots. Knowing this information can help you narrow down your options and make an informed guess.

For question 3, it is important to understand the different processes involved in plant development. Growth, morphogenesis, and cellular differentiation are all important stages in the development of a plant from a fertilized egg. Researching these terms and understanding their roles in plant development can help you determine the correct answer.

Remember, as a scientist it is important to not just guess, but to use evidence and critical thinking to arrive at the correct answer. I would encourage you to do further research and consult with your teacher or classmates for clarification and discussion. Good luck with your questions!

Related to What Are Key Factors in Plant Water Movement and Vascular Cambium Locations?

1. What is the main difference between photosynthesis and cellular respiration?

The main difference between photosynthesis and cellular respiration is the direction of energy flow. In photosynthesis, energy from the sun is converted into chemical energy (glucose) while in cellular respiration, chemical energy (glucose) is converted into ATP, which is the energy currency of cells. Additionally, photosynthesis occurs in chloroplasts while cellular respiration occurs in the mitochondria.

2. How do plants get the nutrients they need to survive?

Plants get the nutrients they need through two main pathways: the root system and the leaf system. The root system absorbs water and minerals from the soil, while the leaf system (specifically the stomata) absorbs carbon dioxide from the air. Through photosynthesis, plants use these nutrients to create glucose, which is then used for energy and growth.

3. What is the purpose of transpiration in plants?

Transpiration is the process by which plants release water vapor through their stomata. This serves two main purposes in plants: regulating temperature and maintaining hydration. By releasing water vapor, plants can cool themselves down and prevent overheating. Additionally, transpiration helps to maintain the plant's hydration levels by drawing water from the roots up to the leaves.

4. How do hormones play a role in plant growth and development?

Hormones are chemical messengers that play a crucial role in regulating plant growth and development. For example, auxin is a hormone that promotes cell elongation, while gibberellins stimulate cell division and growth. These hormones work together to control various aspects of plant growth, such as root development, leaf expansion, and flowering.

5. Can plants respond to their environment?

Yes, plants can respond to their environment through various mechanisms. For example, phototropism is the process by which plants bend towards a light source, allowing them to maximize their exposure to sunlight for photosynthesis. Plants can also respond to touch, gravity, and other stimuli through different responses such as thigmotropism (response to touch) and gravitropism (response to gravity).