Effect of electrical field on annealing of thin film bismuth

In summary, the conversation revolved around the properties of evaporated thin film bismuth and how annealing can affect its grain size and resistance. It was mentioned that the temperature and cooling rate of annealing can have a significant impact on the resistance of bismuth. The question was raised about the potential effects of applying an electric field during annealing and if it could improve the grain structure and reduce resistance. Some research was done on the effects of electric and magnetic fields on annealing in other materials, such as cold rolled steels and aluminum, but there was not much information on the impact on thin films. The ultimate goal was to improve the electrical and optical qualities of bismuth films.
christopher.s
I have been reading recently on the properties of evaporated thin film bismuth, particularly grain size and resistivity. Usually evaporated bismuth is amorphous and semimetallic, with very small grain size. Grain size can be increased and resistance lowered by annealing the film. It has been shown that the temperature of annealing as well as the cooling rate can have a dramatic effect on the resistance of bismuth. I was curious as to what would happen if the bismuth were under the influence of an electric field, by say passing a small current through the film as it were annealed. I'm not sure if it would have any effect at all on grain size or resistance, and to be honest I have basically no understanding of the physical mechanisms of annealing or what is happening on an atomic level. If anybody has some insight, or can offer explanations on what determines how the bismuth anneals atomically, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I could have done a little more research before posting the question, but I have a little more information to go on now. There is not a lot of literature of the effect on electric or magnetic fields of thin films during annealing, but there is a lot of information on annealing cold rolled steels or aluminum with and without applied electric fields. As this paper1 shows, an electric field applied to cold rolled aluminum does not change mechanism of recrystallization but it does enhance cube texture. I also read some papers on the effect of electric field applied during evaporation of Ti thin films. Fascinating stuff! I am not sure how much the grain structure of bismuth will be effected though, from what I have read during annealing it tends to "ball up" due to surface tension.

The reason I ask about the annealing is that I wish to improve the electrical and optical qualities of thin film bismuth, particularly by lowering resistance compared to evaporated films for a given film thickness (and lowering the specific heat of the film), and to decrease transmission and reflection of infrared.

1 - http://www.ysxbcn.com/upfile/soft/2008425/2008425103827363.pdf

Related to Effect of electrical field on annealing of thin film bismuth

1. What is the purpose of studying the effect of electrical field on annealing of thin film bismuth?

The purpose of this study is to understand how the application of an electrical field can affect the annealing process of thin film bismuth. This can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of bismuth thin films, which can have various applications in electronic devices.

2. How does an electrical field affect the annealing process of thin film bismuth?

The application of an electrical field can induce changes in the crystalline structure of bismuth thin films, leading to variations in its physical and chemical properties. This can also affect the rate and quality of the annealing process, resulting in different microstructures and properties of the thin film.

3. What are the potential benefits of using an electrical field during annealing of thin film bismuth?

The use of an electrical field during annealing can potentially enhance the properties of bismuth thin films, such as improving its conductivity, thermal stability, and mechanical strength. This can also help in controlling the microstructure and grain size of the thin film, leading to better performance in electronic devices.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations in using an electrical field for annealing of thin film bismuth?

While the use of an electrical field can have several benefits, it also poses some challenges and limitations. These include the need for precise control of the electrical parameters, potential damage to the thin film due to high voltages, and difficulty in scaling up the process for industrial applications.

5. What are some potential future research directions in this field of study?

Further research in this area can focus on optimizing the electrical parameters and conditions for the annealing process to achieve desired properties in bismuth thin films. Additionally, investigating the effects of electrical field on other materials and exploring potential industrial applications of this technique can also be potential research directions.