Newton's Laws sailboat problem

In summary: This is typical; the mass of the object often cancels out of the equation.In summary, in this conversation, the speaker is seeking help with solving problems involving Newton's laws, specifically when dealing with multiple forces and velocity. The expert provides a step-by-step guide on how to solve these types of problems, including how to resolve vectors into components and how to use the kinematics formula. The expert also clarifies a mistake they made in their explanation and provides further assistance in finding the frictional force. The conversation ends with the expert emphasizing that the mass of the object is not needed in the calculation for the coefficient of friction.
Alethia
Okay, in my class we've been learning basic problems solved by applying Newton's laws. I understand the general idea, but I get confused with problems like the first one. How would I solve it taking both forces on it into account? On the second problem, I don't know how to solve it because it gives you velocity and none of the formulas have velocity in it. Do I have to refer to other formula's first and then convert? Any explanation or help would be very much appreciated. Please provide a step-by-step guide so that I can teach myself. THANK YOU.

1) A sailboat with a mass of 2.0x10^3kg experiences a tidal force of 3.0x10^3N directed to the east and a wind force against its sails with a magnitude of 6.0x10^3N directed towards the northwest (45 degrees North of West). What is the magnitude of the resultant acceleration of the boat?

2) A crate is carried in a pickup truck traveling horizontaklly at 15.0m/s. The truck applies the brakes for a distance of 28.7m while stopping with uniform acceleration. What is the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the truck bed if the crate does not slide?

Thanks again for any help, and sorry to inconvienence anyone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Alethia
I understand the general idea, but I get confused with problems like the first one. How would I solve it taking both forces on it into account?

You have to resolve the vectors into components. If you take 'x' to be east and 'y' to be north, then the tidal force is 3.0x10^3 x, and the wind force is 6.0/sqrt(2)x10^3 x + 6.0/sqrt(2)x10^3 y.

(To resolve the wind vector into components, you note that it makes an angle of 45 degrees with respect to the x axis, so the components of the vector are Fx = F cos(θ), Fy = F sin(θ). Here we use that cos(45)=sin(45) = 1/sqrt(2).)

The net force is thus (3+6/sqrt(2))x10^3 x + 6/sqrt(2)x10^3 y; use the Pythagorean theorem to find its magnitude.

On the second problem, I don't know how to solve it because it gives you velocity and none of the formulas have velocity in it.

What about this one?

[tex]
{v_f}^2 = {v_i}^2 + 2a\Delta x
[/tex]

It's an underrated but very useful kinematics formula. You can solve for the net acceleration, which is due to the frictional force, and from that determine the coefficient of friction.

I don't understand what you did for the first problem. By following your explanation I got the answer of 268.3 which is not the correct answer. =1

I understand how to solve for acceleration using that problem, but how then would I find the frictional force?

I don't understand what you did for the first problem. By following your explanation I got the answer of 268.3 which is not the correct answer.

Ooops, I got the sign wrong. The wind force is
-6.0/sqrt(2)x10^3 x + 6.0/sqrt(2)x10^3 y (since it's northwest, not northeast).

You should obtain an acceleration of 2.21 m/s2.

I understand how to solve for acceleration using that problem, but how then would I find the frictional force?

The net force is the frictional force, so you just multiply the net acceleration by m.

When you say 6/(sqrt)2 does that mean 6 squared?

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
The net force is the frictional force, so you just multiply the net acceleration by m.
m as in mass? There is no mass given...

Last edited:
When you say 6/(sqrt)2 does that mean 6 squared?

No, I mean [tex]6/\sqrt{2}[/tex].

m as in mass? There is no mass given...

Yes. Multiply by mass anyway, and when you go to calculate the coefficient of friction from the force of friction, you'll find it cancels out of the equation so you don't need to know its value.

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are fundamental concepts in the study of mechanics.

2. How does Newton's First Law apply to a sailboat?

Newton's First Law, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a sailboat, if no external force (such as wind or a motor) is applied, the boat will remain at rest or continue moving in the same direction and speed.

3. What is the role of Newton's Second Law in the sailboat problem?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the sailboat problem, the net force acting on the boat is the force of the wind against the sails. The acceleration of the boat will depend on the strength of this force and the mass of the boat.

4. How does Newton's Third Law apply to a sailboat?

Newton's Third Law, also known as the Law of Action and Reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the sailboat problem, the action is the force of the wind pushing against the sails, and the reaction is the force of the boat moving in the opposite direction. This law explains why a sailboat can move forward when the wind is blowing in the opposite direction.

5. What are some real-world applications of the sailboat problem and Newton's Laws?

The sailboat problem and Newton's Laws have many real-world applications, including in sailboat racing and design, as well as in understanding the motion of other objects, such as cars and airplanes. These laws also play a crucial role in space travel and the study of celestial mechanics.