Echelon form and set of solutions.

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of linear equations and how to determine the values of k that will result in no solutions, a single solution, or an infinite number of solutions. The reduced matrix for the system is also mentioned, with the confirmation that for k=7/6 there are no solutions. The possibility of mistakes in the row operations is also discussed.
peripatein
Hello,

I have the following system of linear equations -

kx + 3y -z = 1
x + 2y - z = 2
-kx + y + 2z = -1

I have reduced it to

1 2 -1 : 2
0 1 1/4 : 0
0 0 (7-6k)/7k : (8-4k)/7

assuming k ≠ 0.

I would now like to be able to determine for what values of k will the system have no solutions, a single solution, and an infinite number of solutions.

Would it be correct to say that there would be no solution for k=7/6, and a single solution for every k ≠ 7/6 (therefore, the system will never have an infinite number of solutions)?

Physics news on Phys.org
peripatein said:
Hello,

I have the following system of linear equations -

kx + 3y -z = 1
x + 2y - z = 2
-kx + y + 2z = -1

I have reduced it to

1 2 -1 : 2
0 1 1/4 : 0
0 0 (7-6k)/7k : (8-4k)/7

assuming k ≠ 0.

I would now like to be able to determine for what values of k will the system have no solutions, a single solution, and an infinite number of solutions.

Would it be correct to say that there would be no solution for k=7/6, and a single solution for every k ≠ 7/6 (therefore, the system will never have an infinite number of solutions)?

Sounds correct to me.

What about k different than 0? I had to divide by k whilst reducing the matrix. How come it when k=0 the system still yields a solution? Is it possible that the system will never have an infinite number of solutions? (seems like something is amiss with my reduced matrix/method)

peripatein said:
What about k different than 0? I had to divide by k whilst reducing the matrix. How come it when k=0 the system still yields a solution? Is it possible that the system will never have an infinite number of solutions? (seems like something is amiss with my reduced matrix/method)

Sure you divided by k. You still have a k in the denominator. But you can get rid of it by multiplying the last row by k. If you really want to you can also put k=0 in the original matrix and check there is no problem. To get an infinite number of solutions you need a row of zeros. Can't happen here.

But what if I didn't perform the row operations properly? I went over them and yet mistakes are always possible. May you please confirm that I got it aright? I mean, that my reduced form is indeed the reduced form of that matrix?

peripatein said:
But what if I didn't perform the row operations properly? I went over them and yet mistakes are always possible. May you please confirm that I got it aright? I mean, that my reduced form is indeed the reduced form of that matrix?

There's more than one reduced form, you can do it a number of different ways. But my way also showed no solutions for k=7/6.

Thank you very much, Dick

Related to Echelon form and set of solutions.

1. What is the purpose of putting a matrix in echelon form?

Echelon form is a way of organizing a matrix so that it is easier to solve for the unknown variables. This form reveals important information about the system of equations, such as the number of solutions and the linear dependence or independence of the equations.

2. How do you put a matrix in echelon form?

To put a matrix in echelon form, you must perform elementary row operations, such as swapping rows, scaling rows, and adding multiples of one row to another. The goal is to create a matrix where the first non-zero element in each row is to the right of the first non-zero element in the row above it.

3. Can a matrix have more than one echelon form?

Yes, a matrix can have multiple echelon forms. However, all echelon forms of a given matrix will have the same number of non-zero rows and the same pivots (the first non-zero element in each row).

4. What is a set of solutions for a matrix in echelon form?

A set of solutions for a matrix in echelon form is a list of values that satisfy the system of equations represented by the matrix. This set of solutions can be represented as a parametric vector, where the free variables are represented as parameters.

5. Can a matrix in echelon form have no solution?

Yes, a matrix in echelon form can have no solution if the system of equations represented by the matrix is inconsistent, meaning there is no combination of values that will satisfy all of the equations. This can occur if there are contradictory equations or if the equations are linearly dependent.