Easy Touch Switch for Servo Activation | Microcontroller Compatible

• Thread starter dmehling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the individual switches of the PC keyboard style, specifically the Cherry MX Key Switch series, are recommended for activating a small servo through a microcontroller. These switches have a long lifespan and a nice feel. Another potential solution is creating touch sensitive switches using a 5MHz oscillator, 4011 chip, and an NPN transistor. The sensitivity can be adjusted by twisting a ?pf cap.
dmehling
I am looking for a very simple touch switch/sensor that I will be using to activate a small servo. The sensor will be connected to a microcontroller to accomplish some very basic processing of any input received. I've been told that a capacitance switch would do the job, but I've been unable to locate one that I could easily incorporate into my project. If a capacitance switch is not an easy solution, please suggest an easier alternative.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I like to use individual switches of the PC keyboard style. They are nice for test fixtures, etc., because they have a nice feel to them, and have very long life compared to regular pushbuttons. Like the Cherry MX Key Switch series...here are some links:

Datasheet -- http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/pdf/keyswitch_cat.pdf

Digikey catalog page (see bottom of page) -- http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T072/P1756.pdf

You can order one of hte styles that you like (tactile or not, mounting options, etc.), and also order the Keycap. I like the tactile click version myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a set of touch sensivite switches that uses a 5MHz oscilator using 3 nand gates of a 4011 chip and coupling ( with a ?pf cap by twisting about a 1/4 inch of 30 gauge wire together) it to the base on an NPN transistor. The base of the transistor also had a 100 Kohm resistor to ground and a small copper touch plate. When you touch the plate, the transistor becomes unsaturated. giving a high on the collector.

I worked very well. You can tune the sensivity by the number of twist on your ?pf cap.

Related to Easy Touch Switch for Servo Activation | Microcontroller Compatible

1. What is a simple touch switch?

A simple touch switch is an electronic device that allows you to turn on or off a circuit by simply touching a metal plate or sensor. It is commonly used in household appliances and lighting fixtures.

2. How does a simple touch switch work?

A simple touch switch works by using the human body's capacitance to control the flow of electricity. When you touch the metal plate or sensor, it creates a change in the electric field, which triggers the switch to turn on or off.

3. Can I use a simple touch switch with any type of circuit?

Yes, a simple touch switch can be used with both AC and DC circuits. However, it is important to ensure that the switch is compatible with the voltage and current of your specific circuit.

4. How do I install a simple touch switch?

The installation process for a simple touch switch may vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer. In general, it involves connecting the switch to the power source and the device or circuit you want to control. It is important to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for proper installation.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a simple touch switch?

As with any electronic device, there are potential safety concerns with using a simple touch switch. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and usage to prevent electric shock or other hazards. Additionally, make sure to disconnect the power source before installing or handling the switch.