Easy tangent line problem but I don't know how to approach it

In summary, to prove that the line y = 18 - 3x is tangent to the graph of y = 4x^2 - x^3 at the point x = 3, we equate the derivatives and factor the resulting polynomial equation. The factor (x-3) is found, indicating that the line intersects the curve at x = 3. To prove tangency, we also need to show that the derivatives of both functions are equal at x = 3.
Fiorella
Let f be the funtion given by f(x) = 4x^2 - x^3 , let L be the line y = 18 - 3x, where L is tangent to the graph of f.

Show that L is the tangent to the graph of y= f(x) at the point x = 3.

I'm equaling both graphs like this:

4x^2 - x^3 = 18 - 3x

and then I isolate everything to the right:

0 = x^3 - 4x^2 - 3x + 18

But I don't know how to factor this...am I in the right track to prove that this line is tangent to the function?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you KNOW L is a tangent line, it's a bit easier to equate the derivatives. That just gives you a quadratic equation. Once you do that you still have to check f(x)=y for the two solutions. On the other hand you can factor that expression if you work at it. Review factoring. The only possible factors are (x-a) where a is a divisor of 18. And if (x-a) is a factor then substituting a into the polynomial gives you zero. Once you have a factor divide it out to reduce the degree. And don't forget to check y'=f'(x) for each root. Otherwise it's only a crossing point, not a tangent.

Hint: (x-3) is a factor.

Dick said:
Since you KNOW L is a tangent line, it's a bit easier to equate the derivatives. That just gives you a quadratic equation. Once you do that you still have to check f(x)=y for the two solutions. On the other hand you can factor that expression if you work at it. Review factoring. The only possible factors are (x-a) where a is a divisor of 18. And if (x-a) is a factor then substituting a into the polynomial gives you zero. Once you have a factor divide it out to reduce the degree. And don't forget to check y'=f'(x) for each root. Otherwise it's only a crossing point, not a tangent.

Hint: (x-3) is a factor.

Ok Dick so I did synthetic division and I got:

x^2 - x - 6 (x - 3)

(x + 2) (x - 3) (x - 3)

x = -2 x=3 -----> so this proves that the line L is tangent to f(x) at x = 3?

I know somewhere I have to use derivatives to prove it, but I don't know how :(

Last edited:
Fiorella said:
Ok Dick so I did synthetic division and I got:

x^2 - x - 6 (x - 3)

(x + 2) (x - 3) (x - 3)

x = -2 x=3 -----> so this proves that the line L is tangent to f(x) at x = 3?

I know somewhere I have to use derivatives to prove it, but I don't know how :(

That doesn't prove they are tangent. It proves the line intersects the curve at x=3. To show they are tangent you also need to show they have the same slope. Show that their derivatives are also equal at x=3.

Related to Easy tangent line problem but I don't know how to approach it

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a line that touches a curve at only one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

2. How do I identify a tangent line in a problem?

A tangent line can be identified by looking for a point on the curve where the slope is given, and then finding the line that passes through that point with the same slope. This line will be tangent to the curve at that point.

3. Do I need to know any specific formulas to solve a tangent line problem?

Yes, you will need to know the formula for the slope of a line, which is rise over run (change in y over change in x). You may also need to use the formula for the equation of a line, y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

4. How do I approach solving a tangent line problem?

First, identify the given point on the curve and the slope at that point. Then, use the slope formula to determine the slope of the tangent line. Finally, use the equation of a line to find the equation of the tangent line passing through the given point with the calculated slope.

5. Can you provide an example of solving a tangent line problem?

Sure! Let's say we are given the curve y = x^2 and the point (2, 4) on the curve. The slope at this point can be found using the derivative of the curve, which is y' = 2x. Plugging in x = 2, we get a slope of 4. Therefore, the equation of the tangent line passing through (2, 4) with a slope of 4 is y = 4x - 4.