Easy solids of revolution clarification

In summary, the volume of the solid of revolution formed when rotating region R, delimited by f(x) = x^2 from x = 0 to x = 3, around the x-axis is 152.68 cubic units, and the volume when rotating around the y-axis is 127.23 cubic units. These volumes differ because the solids formed have different shapes when rotated around different axes.
cesaruelas

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of the solid of revolution formed when you rotate region R, delimited by f(x) = x^2 from x = 0 to x = 3, around:
a)the x axis
b) the y axis

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it using the disc method.

a) dV = pi * x^4 * dx. thus V = (pi* x^5)/5 + c from x=0 to x=3. thus V=152.68 cubic units.

b) since f(y) = y^(1/2), dV = pi * y * dy. thus V = (pi * y^2)/2 + c from y = 0 to y = 9. thus V = 127.23 cubic units.

My question is: Isn´t the volume when I rotate it along either the x or y-axis supposed to be the same? If it is so, I can´t find where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
cesaruelas said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the volume of the solid of revolution formed when you rotate region R, delimited by f(x) = x^2 from x = 0 to x = 3, around:
a)the x axis
b) the y axis

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved it using the disc method.

a) dV = pi * x^4 * dx. thus V = (pi* x^5)/5 + c from x=0 to x=3. thus V=152.68 cubic units.

b) since f(y) = y^(1/2), dV = pi * y * dy. thus V = (pi * y^2)/2 + c from y = 0 to y = 9. thus V = 127.23 cubic units.

My question is: Isn´t the volume when I rotate it along either the x or y-axis supposed to be the same? If it is so, I can´t find where I went wrong.

No, they aren't supposed to be the same at all. Draw a sketch of the solids. They look pretty different, don't they?

Related to Easy solids of revolution clarification

1. What are solids of revolution?

Solids of revolution are three-dimensional shapes that are formed by rotating a two-dimensional shape around a fixed axis. This process is also known as rotational symmetry.

2. What is the difference between solids of revolution and regular solids?

The main difference between solids of revolution and regular solids is that solids of revolution are formed by rotating a shape around an axis, while regular solids have a fixed shape and do not involve rotation.

3. How do you find the volume of a solid of revolution?

The volume of a solid of revolution can be found by using the method of cylindrical shells or the method of disks/washers. These methods involve finding the area of the cross-section at each point and then integrating to find the total volume.

4. What is the purpose of using solids of revolution in mathematics?

Solids of revolution have many real-world applications, such as in engineering and architecture. In mathematics, they are used to teach concepts like integration and volume, and to help visualize and understand complex shapes and formulas.

5. Are there any limitations to using solids of revolution in calculations?

One limitation of using solids of revolution is that it assumes the shape being rotated is symmetrical around the axis of rotation. Additionally, it may not accurately represent irregular or non-continuous shapes. It is important to carefully consider the limitations and assumptions when using solids of revolution in calculations.