Easy question on wave mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about diffraction of waves by a circular disc and the first minimum in intensity of scattered waves. The formula for this is sin(z) = 1.22 * lambda / D and the conversation includes data for different elements and energies to estimate the radii of their nuclei. The conversation also briefly discusses deriving an expression for momentum using the energy-momentum invariant and neglecting the m^2c^4 term. The key problem is not knowing the value of D and a suggestion is made to calculate it using the de Broglie wavelength and the diffraction formula.
mmh37
This is supposed to be an easy question, but I appear to be slightly lost. Can anyone give me a hint on what to do here?

when waves of wavelength lambda are diffracted by a circular disc of diameter D the first minimum in the intensity of the scattered waves occurs at a scattering angle z given by

[tex]sin(z) = 1.22 * lambda / D [/tex]

First Minima occur (when scattered from Carbon and Oxygen nuclei)...

for Oxygen (16 O) with E = 420 MeV : z= 45°

for Oxygen (16 O) with E = 360 MeV: z= 53 °

for Carbon (12 C) with E= 420 MeV: z = 50.5°

USE THE ABOVE DATA TO ESTIMATE THE RADII OF THE CARBON AND OXYGEN NUCLEI!

NOTE: ... that before I had do derive and expression for the momentum of the particle when it's kinetic energy is very much greater than it's rest mass energy mc^2

using the energy momentum invariant and neglecting the m^2c^4 term I said that:

[tex] E^2 = p^2*c^2 + m^2*c^4 [/tex]

leads to

[tex] p = E/c [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the key problem is that I do not know D. Does anyone see how I can calculate this from the given data?

Find the debroglie wavelength of the concerened atoms and plug it into your diffraction formula rearranged for D.

Related to Easy question on wave mechanics

1. What is wave mechanics?

Wave mechanics is a mathematical theory that describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains how particles behave as both particles and waves, and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

2. How is wave mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the motion of large objects, while wave mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Classical mechanics follows Newton's laws, while wave mechanics follows the principles of quantum mechanics.

3. What are some real-world applications of wave mechanics?

Wave mechanics has many practical applications, including the development of new technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer chips. It is also used in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering to understand the behavior of molecules and materials at a microscopic level.

4. How does wave mechanics explain the concept of uncertainty?

According to wave mechanics, particles do not have a definite position or momentum until they are observed or measured. This is known as the uncertainty principle, which states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously.

5. Is wave mechanics a complete theory?

No, wave mechanics is not a complete theory. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, but it does not provide a complete understanding of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Other theories, such as the theory of relativity, are also needed to fully explain the behavior of particles in the universe.