Easy partial fractions explanation

In summary, Malawi_glenn showed how to get 1/(s(s^2+1)) using partial fractions, but I would have done it slightly differently.
snorrenaevdal

Homework Statement

I just want to know how to proceed to get
1/s - s/(s^2+1)

using partial fractions on the term

1/(s(s^2 − 1))

I know this is probably straight forward but I just don't get it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \dfrac{1}{s(s^2-1)} = \dfrac{A}{s} + \dfrac{B}{s-1} + \dfrac{C}{s+1} [/tex]

Since s^2 - 1 = (s+1)(s-1)

now get LHS = RHS (left hand side, right hand side)

[tex] \dfrac{1}{s(s^2-1)} = \dfrac{A(s-1)(s+1)}{s(s-1)(s+1)} + \dfrac{Bs(s-1)}{s(s-1)(s+1)} } + \dfrac{Cs(s+1)}{s(s-1)(s+1)} } = \dfrac{A(s-1)(s+1) + Bs(s-1) + Cs(s+1)}{s(s^2-1)}[/tex]

Now do all the multiplication on the RHS, and solve the linear equation system with respect to A,B and C.

snorrenaevdal said:

Homework Statement

I just want to know how to proceed to get
1/s - s/(s^2+1)

using partial fractions on the term

1/(s(s^2 − 1))

I know this is probably straight forward but I just don't get it.

Thanks.
You DON'T. (And so it is certainly not "straight forward"!)

1/s- s/(s^2+ 1) would come from something with denominator s(s^2+1)= s^3+ 1.

1/(s(s^2-1)= 1/(s(s-1)(s+1)) gives partial fractions of the form
A/s+ B/(s-1)+ C/(s+1)

Malawi_glenn showed one way to do that. I would have done it slightly differently.
Write 1/(s(s-1)(s+1))= A/s+ B/(s-1)+ C/(s+1) and, instead of adding the fractions on the right, get rid of the fractions by multiplying both sides by s(s-1)(s+1). That gives 1= A(s-1)(s+1)+ Bs(s+1)+ Cs(s-1).
Letting s= 0 in that gives 1= A(-1)(1)= -A so A= -1.
Letting s= 1 in that gives 1= B(1)(2)= 2B so B= 1/2.
Letting s= -1 in that gives 1= C(-1)(-2)= 2C so C= 1/2
1/(s(s^2-1))= -1/s+ (1/2)/(s-1)+ (1/2)/(s+1).

Now, if you meant 1/s(s^2+1)) orginally, then you know that
1/s(s^2+1))= A/s+ (Bs+ C)/(s^2+1)

We can, again, eliminate the fractions by multiplying both sides by s(s^2+ 1) to get 1= A(s^2+1)+ (Bs+ C)s

Taking s= 0 gives 1= A so A= 1

Unfortunately, there is no real s that makes s^2+ 1= 0 so just take s= 1 and -1 to get 1= (1)(2)+ (B(1)+C)(1) and 1= (1)(2)+ (B(-1)+ C)(-1) or
B+C= -1 and B- C= -1. Adding those two equations 2B= -2 so B= -1 and then -1+ C= -1 so C= 0.

1/(s(s^2+ 1))= 1/s- s/(s^2+ 1)

Was that what you meant?

Related to Easy partial fractions explanation

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to break down a complex fraction into smaller, simpler fractions. This is done by decomposing the denominator into its individual factors and expressing the original fraction as a sum of fractions with these factors as denominators. This process is useful in solving integral equations and simplifying algebraic expressions.

2. Why do we use partial fractions?

Partial fractions are used to simplify complex algebraic expressions and make it easier to solve integral equations. They also help in finding the roots of a polynomial function and identifying the behavior of rational functions at different points.

3. How do you find partial fractions?

The process of finding partial fractions involves breaking down the original fraction into smaller fractions with simpler denominators. This is done by first factoring the denominator and then expressing the original fraction as a sum of fractions with these factors as denominators. The coefficients of each fraction can then be determined by equating the original fraction to the sum of the partial fractions and solving for the coefficients.

4. What is the difference between partial fractions and regular fractions?

The main difference between partial fractions and regular fractions is that partial fractions involve breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions, while regular fractions are already in their simplest form. Partial fractions are used to simplify algebraic expressions and solve integral equations, while regular fractions are used in basic arithmetic operations.

5. Can you provide an easy explanation of partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used to express a complex fraction as a sum of simpler fractions. This is done by factoring the denominator and expressing the original fraction as a sum of fractions with these factors as denominators. The coefficients of each fraction can then be determined by equating the original fraction to the sum of the partial fractions and solving for the coefficients. This process helps in simplifying algebraic expressions and solving integral equations.