Easy ODE to solve using frobenius method help?

In summary: Indicial_Equationfor some extra guidance. Great job on your steps so far!In summary, the conversation discusses the steps of using the Frobenius method to find a series solution to a differential equation with a regular singular point. The steps include setting up a series equation, substituting it into the original equation, and simplifying to find the values of c that satisfy the indicial equation. The conversation also mentions the case of a double root and provides a resource for further guidance.
razoribbon
I can't seem to figure this one out:

y'' + (1/x)*y' -c*y = -c*y0

where c is just a constant.

if someone could please go through the steps of the frobenius method, i would really appreciate it!

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: Since the constant solution, y= cy0 for all x, is clearly a solution you can solve the homogeneous equation y''+ (1/x)y'- cy= 0 and add cy0.

Step 2: Multiply that equation by x to get xy''+ y'- cxy= 0.

Step 3: Write
[tex]y= \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^{n+c}[/itex]
differentiate term by term to find y' and y'' and substitute into that equation.

Step 4: Look just at the terms having lowest power of x. That should be a quadratic equation in c times a0. Assume that [itex]a_0\ne 0[/itex] so that the coefficient must be 0 and solve that "indicial equation" for two values of c.

Step 5: Put each of those values of c into your equation in turn to find two independent solutions to the homogeneous equation. Setting each coefficient of x to a power to 0, you will get a recursive equation for an.

i thought frobenius method was to look at the asymptotic solutions? halls what explained was simply how find a series solution?

thank you for such a clear response!

these are my steps:
[tex]
y = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n}x^{n + c}
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty (n + c)a_{n}x^{n + c -1}
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n + c)(n + c -1)a_{n}x^{n + c - 2}
[/tex]

now i substitute them into the original equation multiplied by x:

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n + c)(n + c -1)a_{n}x^{n + c -1} + (n + c)a_{n}x^{n + c -1} - {\alpha}a_{n}x^{n + c + 1} = 0
[/tex]

the first two terms have the same power of x, so the equation can be simplified:

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (n + c)^{2}a_{n}x^{n + c - 1} - {\alpha}a_{n}x^{n + c + 1} = 0
[/tex]

does this mean that the only solution is c = 0? have i done the right things so far?

thanks for your help!

Related to Easy ODE to solve using frobenius method help?

1. What is the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to solve linear ordinary differential equations (ODEs) with a regular singular point. It involves finding a series solution for the ODE by assuming a solution of the form xrΣn=0anxn, where r is the singular point and an are constants to be determined.

2. How is the Frobenius method different from other methods of solving ODEs?

The Frobenius method is specifically used for solving ODEs with a regular singular point, while other methods such as the power series method or separation of variables method can be used for more general types of ODEs. Additionally, the Frobenius method involves finding a series solution, while other methods may yield exact solutions.

3. Can the Frobenius method be used for all types of ODEs?

No, the Frobenius method can only be used for ODEs with a regular singular point. ODEs with irregular singular points or non-singular points cannot be solved using this method.

4. What are the steps for using the Frobenius method to solve an ODE?

The steps for using the Frobenius method are as follows:

1. Determine the singular point of the ODE
  2. Assume a solution of the form xrΣn=0anxn
  3. Substitute the solution into the ODE and equate coefficients of like powers of x
  4. Use recurrence relations to find the values of the constants an
  5. If necessary, use the ratio test to determine the radius of convergence for the series solution

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving ODEs with regular singular points?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as the method of Frobenius' theorem and the method of variation of parameters. These methods may be more efficient for certain types of ODEs with regular singular points.