Easy Differential Equation Calc 1

In summary, the conversation discussed whether or not y = x^2 is a solution to the differential equation y'' - 4xy' + 4y = 0. It was determined that in order for a function to be a solution, it must satisfy the equation for all values of x. Therefore, since y = x^2 did not satisfy the equation for all values of x, it is not a solution to the given DE. The conversation also clarified that a value, such as x = 1/\sqrt{2}, cannot be a solution to a DE since only functions can satisfy DE's.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

Is y = x^2 a solution to the DE [tex]y'' - 4xy' + 4y = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So:
[tex]y = x^2[/tex]
[tex]y' = 2x[/tex]
[tex]y'' = 2[/tex]

[tex] 2 - 4x(2x) + 4x^2 = 0[/tex]
[tex] 2 - 8x^2 + 4x^2 = 0[/tex]
[tex] 2 - 4x^2 = 0[/tex]

But doing this I won't get an answer of whether it is a solution or not. I get a variable equal to a number. So what can I do differently? How do I solve this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sheneron said:

Homework Statement

Is y = x^2 a solution to the DE [tex]y" - 4xy' + 4y = 0[/tex]
Which means that this must be true for all x.

Suppose you were asked whether x= 2 is a solution to x3- 3x2[/sup+ 10x+ 4= 0. Putting 2 in place of x gives you 23- 3(22)+ 10(2)+ 4= 8- 12+ 20+ 4= 20, not 0. Since the equation is not true, 2 is NOT a solution to the problem.

So:
[tex]y = x^2[/tex]
[tex]y' = 2x[/tex]
[tex]y" = 2[/tex]

[tex] 2 - 4x(2x) + 4x^2 = 0[/tex]
[tex] 2 - 8x^2 + 4x^2 = 0[/tex]
[tex] 2 - 4x^2 = 0[/tex]But doing this I won't get an answer of whether it is a solution or not. I get a variable equal to a number. So what can I do differently? How do I solve this? Thanks in advance.
Is that true for all x? If yes, then y= x2 is a solution to the differential equation. If not, then it is not a solution!

Homework Statement

zzzzzz

Homework Equations

So for any x, y = x^2 is a solution to that DE? And that is because I got a variable equal to a number? And just for a reference the answer in the back of the book said that it wasn't a solution to that DE.

Is [itex]2-4x^2[/itex] zero for all x?!

Sorry the post I responded to before didn't load fully and I only saw a small part. Which I was equally confused about.

So let me get this straight. Since [tex]2 - 4x^2 = 0[/tex] is not true for all x then, [tex] y= x^2[/tex] is not a solution to that DE. If however, that equation had been true for all x it would be a solution?

Yes, by plugging in [itex] y=x^2[/itex] to the left side of the DE, you showed that:

[tex]y'' - 4xy' + 4y=2-4x^2 [/tex]

which does not equal the right side of the DE (zero) for all [itex]x[/itex], so [itex] y=x^2[/itex] does not satisfy the DE.

Furthermore, if they had said [tex]x = \sqrt{1/2}[/tex] a solution to the DE the answer would be yes, since that yields a result of 0 = 0?

Not really, for a solution to satisfy the DE it must satisfy it for all values of [itex]x[/itex].

with x at that value, and y the same as above, then y would be a solution to that DE

It's true that [itex]2-4x^2=0[/itex] for [itex]x=1/\sqrt{2}[/itex], but [itex]y(1/\sqrt{2})=1/2[/itex] which is a constant, so dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2 are both zero and your left with 4*(1/2)=0 which is false. It is meaningless to say that y(a certain value) satisfies the DE, since y(a certain value) is a value, not a function. Only functions satisfy DE's.

Forget that y part, I didn't mean to put that. If I said is [tex]y = x^2 [/tex] at [tex]x = 1/\sqrt{2}[/tex] a solution to that DE what would the answer be?

Still no; [itex]y=x^2[/itex] at [itex]x=1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] is just a value not a function. Functions satisfy DE's, values don't.

Alright thanks

Related to Easy Differential Equation Calc 1

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time. It involves the derivative of a function and can be used to model various physical phenomena.

What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. In other words, an ordinary differential equation describes the behavior of a single variable, while a partial differential equation describes the behavior of multiple variables.

What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

Solving a differential equation allows us to find a function that satisfies the equation and describes the behavior of a system. This can be useful in predicting future outcomes or understanding the underlying principles of a physical phenomenon.

What are the basic steps for solving a differential equation?

The basic steps for solving a differential equation involve separating variables, integrating both sides, solving for the constant of integration, and checking the solution for accuracy. Additional methods, such as substitution or separation of variables, may be necessary for more complex equations.

What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model population growth, electrical circuits, heat transfer, chemical reactions, and more. They are also used in the development of computer algorithms and artificial intelligence.