Eastern Europe vs UK & USA

In summary, the quality of mathematical books from the US/UK and Russia can vary and it is important to find the book that suits your individual needs and learning style.
hellbike
I wonder if mathematical books from USA/UK better than for example russian books?

I use mostly russian ( i live in eastern Europe), and they are hard for self-learning person (i'm thinking about books for mathematicians-to-be, not engineers). I wonder if books that are used in UK/USA sre much better.

I was using Fichtenholz's book for calculus till now, but I'm thinking about changing to Spivak.

I would like to know opinion of someone, who have had experience with both - eastern and western books.

Also, Correcting my english is welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to answer this question definitively as it depends on many factors such as the particular author, the level of difficulty, the topics covered, and the style of explanation. Generally speaking, the quality of mathematical books from the US or UK are often high, though this does not necessarily make them better than Russian books for all learners. Ultimately, the best book for any individual learner will depend on their learning style and preferences. For example, some people may find that Spivak's book is more accessible than Fichtenholz's, while others may prefer the latter. Therefore, it is best to read reviews and sample chapters of different books before deciding which one is best for you.

I have had experience with both Eastern European and Western mathematical books. In my opinion, the quality of a mathematical book is not determined by its country of origin, but rather by the author's expertise and approach to teaching. Both Eastern European and Western mathematicians have made significant contributions to the field and have produced excellent textbooks.

That being said, it is important to consider your personal learning style when choosing a mathematical book. Some books may be more suited for self-learning while others may require a more guided approach. It is also helpful to seek recommendations from experienced mathematicians or professors who have used a variety of textbooks in their teaching.

Regarding your specific examples, Fichtenholz's book for calculus is a well-respected textbook and has been used by many mathematicians in Eastern Europe. However, if you feel that Spivak's book may better suit your learning style, then it may be worth considering a switch. Ultimately, the most important factor is finding a book that helps you understand and appreciate the subject.

In terms of language, it is important to have a good grasp of English when studying mathematics as it is the universal language of the field. However, it is understandable that English may not be your first language and I encourage you to continue practicing and improving your skills.

In conclusion, the quality of a mathematical book should not be determined by its country of origin, but rather by the author's expertise and your personal learning style. I wish you all the best in your mathematical journey.

Related to Eastern Europe vs UK & USA

1. What are the main cultural differences between Eastern Europe, UK, and USA?

Eastern Europe, UK, and USA have distinct cultural differences, including language, religion, and customs. Eastern Europe is known for its Slavic and Orthodox Christian influence, while the UK and USA have a predominant English-speaking and Christian culture. Eastern European cultures also have a stronger emphasis on family and community, while the UK and USA tend to prioritize individualism and personal achievements.

2. How does the economy of Eastern Europe differ from that of the UK and USA?

The economies of Eastern Europe, UK, and USA have varying degrees of development and structure. Eastern Europe is typically considered a developing region, with a mix of traditional and modern industries, while the UK and USA are more industrialized and have a stronger service-based economy. Eastern European countries also tend to have a lower GDP per capita compared to the UK and USA.

3. What are the political systems in Eastern Europe, UK, and USA?

Eastern Europe, UK, and USA have different forms of government. Eastern European countries have a mix of parliamentary and presidential systems, while the UK and USA have a parliamentary and presidential system, respectively. The UK and USA also have a longer history of democracy and political stability compared to Eastern Europe, which has experienced more political upheaval in recent years.

4. What are the main challenges facing Eastern Europe, UK, and USA?

Eastern Europe, UK, and USA face various challenges, including economic disparities, political tensions, and social issues. Eastern European countries are still recovering from the effects of communism and face challenges with corruption and economic instability. The UK is currently dealing with the effects of Brexit, while the USA faces political polarization and social issues such as income inequality and systemic racism.

5. How do education systems differ between Eastern Europe, UK, and USA?

The education systems in Eastern Europe, UK, and USA have their own unique characteristics. Eastern European countries typically have a more centralized and traditional education system, with a strong emphasis on science and technology. The UK and USA have a more decentralized system, with a focus on liberal arts education. The cost of education is also a major difference, with tuition fees being generally lower in Eastern Europe compared to the UK and USA.