Earth's Quantized Angular Momentum and Energy Transition in the Bohr Model?

In summary, the conversation discusses the quantization of the Earth's angular momentum around the sun and its potential effects. The question of what the Earth's quantum number would be if its angular momentum were quantized is raised, along with the amount of energy that would be released in a transition to the next lowest level and whether this energy release would be detectable. The radius of the orbit is also mentioned. The conversation then continues with the attempt to solve for n and the use of an equation to calculate the energy, but difficulties are encountered due to uncertainties in the physical characteristics of the Earth.
briteliner

Homework Statement

4-16:
if the angular momentum of the Earth in its motion around the sun were quantized like a hydrogen electron according to equation L=mvr=(nh)/2Π, what would Earth's quantum number be? How much energy would be released in a transition to the next lowest level? would that energy release (presumably as a gravity wave) be detectable? what would be the radius of that orbit? (radius of Earth's orbit is 1.5x10^11 m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

don't even know where to start! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Try finding out what n is using the physical characteristics of the Earth.

ok so i set nh/2pi equal to L which is 7.27e-5 rad/s and i solved for n. I got 6.2e29.
for the next part with the energy, i have this equation: [m(k^2)(z^2)(e^2)]/[(2h^2)(n^2)]
but i don't know what i would use for z. when i use z=1 i get that E= 7.7e-40 J but that just seems very wrong.

I believe we need to find out how much energy it would take to go from n to n-1. So find the energy at E(n) and subtract E(n-1). See if that gives you something more reasonable.

Related to Earth's Quantized Angular Momentum and Energy Transition in the Bohr Model?

1. What is the Bohr model of hydrogen atom?

The Bohr model of hydrogen atom is a simplified model proposed by Niels Bohr in 1913 to explain the structure of hydrogen atom. It states that the electrons in hydrogen atom orbit the nucleus in fixed circular paths, known as energy levels or shells. These shells are numbered from 1 to infinity, with the first shell being the closest to the nucleus.

2. What is the significance of the Bohr model?

The Bohr model was significant as it was the first successful attempt to explain the structure of an atom. It also laid the foundation for the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of electrons in atoms.

3. How does the Bohr model explain the stability of an atom?

The Bohr model explains the stability of an atom by stating that the electrons in the atom can only exist in specific energy levels or shells. These shells are stable and do not require any additional energy. If an electron absorbs energy, it can move to a higher energy level or shell, but it will eventually return to its original stable state by releasing the excess energy in the form of light.

4. Is the Bohr model still accurate?

The Bohr model is considered an oversimplified model and has been replaced by more accurate models, such as the quantum mechanical model. However, it is still used in introductory chemistry courses as it provides a basic understanding of atomic structure and is a good starting point for learning more complex models.

5. Can the Bohr model be applied to other atoms besides hydrogen?

The Bohr model was initially developed for hydrogen atom, but it can also be applied to atoms with one electron, such as helium. However, it fails to explain the behavior of atoms with more than one electron and is not applicable to more complex elements.