Angular momentum of hydrogen atom with Schrodinger Equation

In summary, the Schrodinger equation for a hydrogen atom with an electron orbiting around a proton has the following form: 1a2d2ψdϕ2+2mℏ2|E|ψ=01a2d2ψdϕ2+2mℏ2|E|ψ=0\frac{1}{a^2}\frac{d^2\psi}{d\phi^2} + \frac{2m}{\hbar^2}|E|\psi = 0. The energy is quantized and in good agreement with the Bohr model. Angular momentum can be quantized as L=m\upsilon
James Brady
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
If we were to assume that the electron moves around the proton with radius a, the Schrodinger equation becomes:

##\frac{1}{a^2}\frac{d^2\psi}{d\phi^2} + \frac{2m}{\hbar^2}|E|\psi = 0##

The question in my textbook asks me to solve the above equation to obtain values of energy and angular momentum for the electron. Energy I could do:

##\psi = c_1cos(k\phi) + c_2sin(k\phi)## where ##k^2=\frac{2ma^2}{\hbar^2}##

By knowing that phi cannot have more than one value at any radial coordinate around the atom, the energy is quantized:

##E = \frac{n\hbar^2}{2ma^2}##, which is in good agreement with the Bohr model.

The process up to here makes sense to me. However, how can I now find the angular momentum?? The idea of a wave having angular momentum is absurd to me, but I do not even know where to start working on the mathematics of it all.

Physics news on Phys.org
James Brady said:
If we were to assume that the electron moves around the proton with radius a, the Schrodinger equation becomes:

1a2d2ψdϕ2+2mℏ2|E|ψ=01a2d2ψdϕ2+2mℏ2|E|ψ=0\frac{1}{a^2}\frac{d^2\psi}{d\phi^2} + \frac{2m}{\hbar^2}|E|\psi = 0

The question in my textbook asks me to solve the above equation to obtain values of energy and angular momentum for the electron. Energy I could do:

ψ=c1cos(kϕ)+c2sin(kϕ)ψ=c1cos(kϕ)+c2sin(kϕ)\psi = c_1cos(k\phi) + c_2sin(k\phi) where k2=2ma2ℏ2k2=2ma2ℏ2k^2=\frac{2ma^2}{\hbar^2}

the equation does not look like a schrodinger wave equation for H-atom.

the wave function has all three spherical polar coordinate dependence,namely r,theta, and phi.
the interaction term is there- coulomb interaction with 1/r dependence - your equation looks like free particle equation.
the hamiltonian operator is missing- first clarify your model problem then proceed ahead take a textbook or see net-resource on H-atom.

upload_2016-3-30_11-23-24.png
I am solving problem 2

James Brady said:
I am solving problem 2

so you write down schrodinger eq and constrain it to move it in a circle - now you don't have a quantum picture - its a classical motion as done by Bohr.
then take the path of Bohr to quantise (artificially) the circular orbits as well as quantum condition for angular momentum J =nh
i don't think it has any features going tosatisfy the basics of quantum mechanics - just a numerical exercise.
the angular momentum will be moment of the momentum of the rotating particle taken about an axis passing through the centre perpendicular to the plane.
one can hardly call it a schrodinger picture.

Right yeah it's not real life, I understand that. The question is tho, can I use mathematics to solve for angular momentum given this non-real scenario? I was able to solve for energies by recognizing that k must be quantized in order to have consistent boundary conditions. Is it possible to solve for L in a similar manner?

Rearrange the equation $$\frac{1}{a^2}\frac{d^2 \psi}{d\phi^2} + \frac{2m}{\hbar^2}\lvert E\rvert\psi = 0$$ so:
$$\frac{d^2 \psi}{d\phi^2} = -\frac{2ma^2}{\hbar^2}\lvert E\rvert\psi$$ so $$\psi(\phi) = e^{iC\phi}$$
where ##C = \frac{\sqrt{2m\lvert E\rvert}a}{\hbar}##
I leave it to you to give values as to find ##\lvert E\rvert##.
Angular momentum is ##L = m\upsilon a = \hbar C##. Now fill in the final detail for angular momentum.

EDIT: Used ## for inline equations.

Last edited:
Likes James Brady
OK cool, I solved for energy in my original post and using the relationship ##E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2, v = \sqrt{\frac{2E}{m}}## L can be solved for ##L = \hbar\sqrt{n}## where the square root of m is just k or the angular velocity. so ##L =\hbar k##

Thanks a lot dude, appreciate the help.

In order ##\psi(\phi)## to have a physical meaning, $$\psi(\phi) = \psi(\phi + 2\pi)$$ So, what does this imply? Find kinetic energy ##\lvert E\rvert## (note: ##E - U = K = \lvert E\rvert##) from this and then angular momentum ##L##, as a function that includes ##n##, where ##n## is any integer. Finally, compare both of them with the Bohr model.

EDIT: Used ## for inline equations.

Last edited:
Note: use ## ## instead of $$ $$ for inline equations.

Likes QuantumQuest

Related to Angular momentum of hydrogen atom with Schrodinger Equation

1. What is angular momentum in the context of the hydrogen atom?

The angular momentum of the hydrogen atom refers to the rotational motion of the electron around the nucleus. It is quantized and can only take on certain discrete values determined by the Schrodinger Equation.

2. How is angular momentum calculated in the Schrodinger Equation?

The Schrodinger Equation includes an operator for angular momentum, denoted by "L." This operator acts on the wavefunction of the electron and yields the quantized values of angular momentum for the hydrogen atom.

3. What is the significance of the angular momentum of the hydrogen atom?

The angular momentum of the hydrogen atom is significant because it is a fundamental property that affects the energy levels and behavior of the electron. It also plays a role in determining the shape of the electron's orbital around the nucleus.

4. How is the angular momentum of the hydrogen atom related to its orbitals?

The angular momentum of the hydrogen atom is related to its orbitals through the quantum numbers n and l. The values of n and l determine the size and shape of the orbital, respectively, and also determine the allowed values of angular momentum.

5. Can the angular momentum of the hydrogen atom change?

Yes, the angular momentum of the hydrogen atom can change if the electron absorbs or emits a photon. This change in energy will result in a change in the quantum numbers n and l, and therefore a change in the angular momentum of the atom.