Earthquake Impacts: 3 Microseconds & 1 Inch Off Axis

In summary, the earthquake shortened days by 3 microseconds and the moon slows days by 15 microseconds each year. The earthquake may also have affected the Earth's rotation and the regular wobble of its axis.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I found this amusing: I just read the Wikipedia article on the recent quake/tsunami, which mentions that the earthquake may have sped up Earth's rotation, shortening days by 3 microseconds... but balanced that by noting that the moon slows days by 15 microseconds each year. It also mentions that it caused the Earth to wobble an inch off of its axis... but balanced it by noting that the Earth already wobbles as much as 15 meters.

Then, I hear in the background (my TV's on) that the news reports only that the quake permanently shortened days and knocked the Earth an inch off of its axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl, I am glad you posted that. I have been hearing these non-specific reports about the quake "affecting the Earth's orbit", and I was wondering what that was all about.

I really liked the wiki article and posted it on the thread in the Earth Sciences section. One of the quotes I included talked of the effect on rotation. I picked this specifically because it was the act of searching to find out what this was all about (after hearing spooky one-liners from the news) that took me to the Wiki article.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=414745&postcount=19

Sumatra is thought to have moved by as much as 120ft and the Earth to have shifted on its axis

...As for causing the Earth to wobble, most seismologists agree that this is likely but it has yet to be tested. “It causes the planet to wobble a little bit, but it is not going to turn Earth upside down,” Dr Sieh said.

The seismologist Hiroo Kanamori, of Caltech, said that the quake would probably have affected the Earth’s rotation and the regular wobble of its axis. “The question is how much and can it be detected,” he told the Los Angeles Times. ...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1418302,00.html

Hurkyl said:
I found this amusing: I just read the Wikipedia article on the recent quake/tsunami, which mentions that the earthquake may have sped up Earth's rotation, shortening days by 3 microseconds... but balanced that by noting that the moon slows days by 15 microseconds each year. It also mentions that it caused the Earth to wobble an inch off of its axis... but balanced it by noting that the Earth already wobbles as much as 15 meters.

Then, I hear in the background (my TV's on) that the news reports only that the quake permanently shortened days and knocked the Earth an inch off of its axis.
I wonder if I could use the wobble to get out of that failed sobriety test.
"Your honor, I could have walked a straight line, that damn wobble kept moving the line.

Related to Earthquake Impacts: 3 Microseconds & 1 Inch Off Axis

1. What is an earthquake?

An earthquake is a sudden and rapid shaking of the Earth's surface, caused by the release of energy stored in the Earth's crust. This energy is released in the form of seismic waves that travel through the Earth, causing the ground to shake.

2. What are the impacts of an earthquake?

The impacts of an earthquake can vary depending on the magnitude, location, and depth of the earthquake. Some common impacts include damage to buildings and infrastructure, landslides, tsunamis, and loss of life. The severity of these impacts also depends on the preparedness and resilience of the affected area.

3. What does "3 microseconds & 1 inch off axis" mean in relation to earthquake impacts?

This phrase refers to the amount of time and distance that the ground moves during an earthquake. The 3 microseconds refers to the duration of the earthquake, which is a very short amount of time. The 1 inch off axis refers to the amount of displacement or movement of the ground in a perpendicular direction to the fault line.

4. How do scientists measure earthquakes?

Scientists use a device called a seismograph to measure earthquakes. This instrument records the vibrations of the Earth's surface and produces a graph, called a seismogram, that shows the amplitude and frequency of the seismic waves. The magnitude of an earthquake is determined by analyzing the seismogram data.

5. How can we prepare for earthquakes and minimize their impacts?

There are several ways to prepare for earthquakes and minimize their impacts. These include creating and practicing emergency plans, securing furniture and objects in buildings, and reinforcing structures to make them more resistant to earthquake shaking. It is also important to educate and raise awareness about earthquake safety and preparedness within communities.