Earth Density: Inner Core, Outer Core & Mantle

In summary, the Earth is not a uniform sphere and can be divided into three regions: inner core, outer core, and mantle. Using a simple model with constant densities for each region, the average density of the entire Earth can be predicted by adding the densities of each region multiplied by their respective fractions of the total volume. However, a more accurate approach would be to subtract the densities of each region from the total density of the Earth, calculated by its measured radius and mass. It is important to note that the units of measurement must be consistent in order to obtain accurate results.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

The Earth is not a uniform sphere, but has regions of varying density. Consider a simple model of the Earth divided into three regions-inner core, outer core, and mantle. Each region is taken to have a unique constant density (the average density of that region in the real Earth):

attachment.php?attachmentid=72681&d=1409791620.png

a) Use this model to predict the average density of the entire Earth (use 4 sig figs).

b) The measured radius of the Earth is 6371 km and its mass is 5.974×1024kg. Use these data to determine the actual average density of the Earth (use 4 sig figs).

The Attempt at a Solution

using the info from the chart the inner core has a radius of 1220km. The Earth has a radius of 6371km so the fraction of the radius of the Earth that belongs to the inner core is

(1220km/6371km)= .1915

multiply this by the density of that region

(13000)(.1915)= 2489.5

now I do the same for each other region and add the results:

outer core = 3480km-1220km = 2260km
(2260km/6371km) = .3547
(.3547)(11100) = 393.7

mantle = 6371km-3480km = 2891km
(2891km/6371km) = .4538
(.4538)(4400) = 1997

1997 + 393.7 + 2489.5 = 4880.2 which to 4 sig figs is 4880.

mastering physics says i am wrong. Where did I go wrong? please help

Attachments

• densitychart.png
    densitychart.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 3,478
Physics news on Phys.org
The Earth is a sphere, so you have to do this problem by volume, not by radius. How much of the total volume of the Earth is within the inner core? Hint: it's not 19.15%.

Likes 1 person
so i would find the volume of the inner core, then find the volume of the outer core + inner core and subtract the volume of the inner core from it. and then find the volume of the whole Earth and subtract the volume of the outer core + inner core from it. then figure out what fraction each volume is of the total volume of the Earth and multiply that fraction by the density of the region and add the pieces?

i will calculate all this in a second but first, i noticed the densities are in kg/m^3 and the radius of each section is in km. should i convert the km to m before starting?

should i convert the km to m before starting?
Couldn't hurt, can't add apples and kilo-apples XD

Also, I think there would be an easier way to do it. Your first steps are great, but I think you're trying to do too much with ratio's, the only ratio I would actually calculate would be the final <density>.

I think b is a pretty solid hint as to solving a. Can you make the setup for a look like the setup for b?

Likes 1 person
i could just multiply each volume by its respective density add it all together and only have to divide it by the total volume of the Earth once at the end. thank you

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Couldn't hurt, can't add apples and kilo-apples XD

1 keV + 1 eV = 1001 eV ...

Also, kg km^3/m^3 is a perfectly valid unit of mass ... :-p

Regarding the OP, I would subtract densities rather than volumes, i.e., one homogeneous sphere of density 4400 kg/m^3 and radius R = 6371 km, one homogeneous sphere of density 11100-4400 = 6700 kg/m^3 and radius 3480 km, and one homogeneous sphere of density 13000-11100 = 1900 kg/m^3 of radius 1220 km. In the end it is just bookkeeping, but for some reason I find it easier to think this way.

Related to Earth Density: Inner Core, Outer Core & Mantle

1. What is the density of the Earth's inner core?

The density of the Earth's inner core is approximately 13 grams per cubic centimeter. This makes it the densest layer of the Earth.

2. How does the density of the Earth's outer core compare to the inner core?

The density of the Earth's outer core is slightly less than the inner core, at around 11 grams per cubic centimeter. However, it is still much denser than the upper layers of the Earth.

3. What is the main component of the Earth's mantle?

The main component of the Earth's mantle is a rock called peridotite. This rock is rich in iron and magnesium, giving the mantle its high density and solid, yet pliable, nature.

4. How does the density of the Earth's mantle change with depth?

The density of the Earth's mantle increases with depth, as the pressure and temperature also increase. This is due to the compression of the rock and the changes in mineral composition at different depths.

5. What is the role of Earth's density in plate tectonics?

The density of the Earth's layers plays a crucial role in plate tectonics. The denser oceanic crust sinks beneath the less dense continental crust, causing subduction zones and the formation of mountains. The differences in density also drive convection currents in the mantle, which contribute to the movement of the tectonic plates.