Earth as a giant sphere of electric charge

In summary, the Earth is a very large object and has essentially no effect on the charge density of any other object. This is why, when a charged object is brought into contact with it, the Earth can absorb all of the charge to neutralize it. This would not happen if the other object were as large as the Earth. Additionally, the composition of the Earth and its cumulative charge may not be neutral, which could also contribute to its ability to absorb charges of both polarities.
jackson6612
I'm not a science student. So, I humbly request you to limit yourself to the basics, please do not indulge in infighting. If you ignore the request, you would be investing your efforts at the wrong place and perhaps it would be considered a pretentious show of knowledge.

If a gold leaf electroscope is connected to earth, there is no deflection, Earth is a neutral object. Then, how come whenever any charged object or electricity connection comes in contact with it, it absorbs all of the charge to neutralize the charge?

Please help me with it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Earth is very big. Charge from charged object to Earth has essentially no effect on the charge density of the earth, while reducing the charge density to zero of the object in question.

jackson6612 said:
If a gold leaf electroscope is connected to earth, there is no deflection, Earth is a neutral object. Then, how come whenever any charged object or electricity connection comes in contact with it, it absorbs all of the charge to neutralize the charge?

This would not happen if the other (charged) object were as large as the earth. In this case (making suitable symmetry assumptions), if it were brought in contact with the earth, only half of its charge would migrate to the earth. The Earth and the object would both end up "half charged."

Thanks, Mathman.

Then, it should carry an opposite charge in order to absorb the charge of other polarity, but how can it because it is considered a neutral body? It can absorb both kinds of charge. I don't understand it. Perhaps, some example could be helpful.

Please remember I'm not a science student. Thanks.

I'm not a physicist, yet.
However, have you ever considered that perhaps the Earth is not neutrally charged? If the exact composition of the Earth is taken into consideration (By composition i mean, the X/100 of separate elements) and the sum charge associated with each X/100 (be they negative or positive), then it may be that the cumulative charge is different than neutrality.

It would make sense then that the greater negative charge of Earth would absorb any lesser positive charge of an object whose charge was not equivalent to Earths negative charge.

I like to look at it as magnets, just considering the strength of the north and south poles attraction. IF the poles had similar strength, then when their opposite poles were aligned, they would automatically neutralize the other. If one of the magnets had greater strength at its poles than the other magnet, then the weaker magnet would automatically be neutralized when it came into contact with the larger magnet. However, the charge of the greater magnet would not lessen or increase.

Just a guess, I may be incorrect.

Last edited:
jackson6612 said:
Then, it [the earth] should carry an opposite charge in order to absorb the charge of other polarity, but how can it because it is considered a neutral body?

The Earth doesn't need to be (say) positively charged in order to receive negative charge from a negatively charged object in contact with it.

The negative charges on the other object already repel each other. Before you put the object in contact with the earth, they don't have any place else to go, so they stay on the other object. Put the other object in contact with the earth, and they do have someplace to go. The negative charges that move from the object to the earth, do so because they are repelled by the negative charge that stays behind on the object.

Related to Earth as a giant sphere of electric charge

1. What is the theory behind Earth being a giant sphere of electric charge?

The theory is based on the idea that the Earth is a giant spherical capacitor, with the ionosphere acting as the positively charged outer plate and the Earth's surface acting as the negatively charged inner plate.

2. How is this theory supported by scientific evidence?

Several experiments have been conducted that show the Earth's electric field and the flow of electrical currents within the Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, satellite measurements have also confirmed the presence of large-scale electrical currents flowing between the ionosphere and the Earth's surface.

3. What impact does the Earth's electric charge have on our daily lives?

The Earth's electric field plays a crucial role in the functioning of our technology, including power grids, telecommunication systems, and navigation devices. It also affects the behavior of lightning and other atmospheric phenomena.

4. Does the Earth's electric charge affect the environment?

Yes, the Earth's electric charge has a significant impact on the environment. It can affect weather patterns, cause changes in the Earth's magnetic field, and influence the behavior of animals and insects.

5. Can the Earth's electric charge be harnessed as a source of energy?

While there have been some attempts to harness the Earth's electric charge as a source of energy, it is not currently a viable option. The amount of energy available is relatively small and is constantly changing due to various factors, making it difficult to capture and store efficiently.