How much negative charge do I accumulate by touching the earth?

In summary: So if you could somehow measure the total charge on the ground (including yourself) that would give you a more accurate estimate.
aaronsky12
The Earth carries a negative electric charge of roughly 500 thousand Coulombs (according to different sources I've seen). If I touch the Earth I should therefore pick up some of this electric charge (through conduction) and become negative charged. Assuming the Earth can modeled as a conducting sphere with radius 6371 km and me as a conducting sphere with radius 1 m, around how much negative charge would I accumulate? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to prove to myself that grounding does indeed render a charged object neutral (i.e. transfers all the object's charge to the Earth). Using the well known equation for two connected conducting spheres with different radii (see Example 3-13 on page 115 in David Cheng's "Field and Wave Electromagnetics, 2nd Ed."), I calculate 0.0785 C, which is way too big and must be wrong. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.

Here is my calculation:

V_sphere=k*Q1/r1 (potential of conducting sphere with radius r1 and and net charge Q1) V_earth=k*Q2/r2 (potential of conducting sphere with radius of the Earth, r2, and and net charge of the Earth, Q2)

where k is a constant. If the sphere touches the Earth then their potentials (V_sphere and V_earth) must be equal, assuming that the charges on the spherical conductors may be considered as uniformly disturbed. Setting V_Sphere=V_earth, we get:

Q1/r1=Q2/r2

Setting Q1+Q2=Qtotal, yields:

Q1=Qtotal*r1/(r1+r2)

Substituting Qtotal=500,000C, r1=1 m,r2=6371000 m (radius of Earth is 6371km) I get:

Q1=0.0785C.

I feel this number is way too large to be correct. If you take coupling into account (by modeling Earth as PEC plate and using image theory), the charge that is accumulated only gets larger! What am I doing wrong here? There seems to be no way you accumulate -0.0785 C of charge by touching the earth.

Every textbook I read just says that the Earth is so big that it acts as an infinite sink/source for charge... without an explanation or calculation to prove this.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
We are all touching Earth all the time, astronauts and airplanes as an exception (and airplanes are still in the air, and tend to land from time to time).

I think the formula for those two spheres assumes that the separation of the spheres is large compared to their diameter, this is not true for you.

You get an upper estimate with the assumption that the whole charge is distributed over 7 billion humans (plus much more trees, bushes, houses and some other animals).

I think a more reasonable approach would be the assumption that charge is proportional to the (vertical?) surface area.

Related to How much negative charge do I accumulate by touching the earth?

1. How does touching the earth result in negative charge accumulation?

When an object, such as a human body, comes into contact with the earth's surface, it becomes electrically conductive. This means that electrons from the earth can flow into the object, resulting in a net negative charge.

2. Is the amount of negative charge accumulated by touching the earth significant?

The amount of negative charge accumulated by touching the earth is relatively small and does not have any noticeable effect on the human body. It is estimated that the average person accumulates a charge of about 0.001 Coulombs when in contact with the earth for an extended period of time.

3. Does the type of surface affect the amount of negative charge accumulated?

Yes, the type of surface can affect the amount of negative charge accumulated when touching the earth. Materials with higher conductivity, such as metals, will accumulate a larger charge compared to non-conductive materials like rubber or plastic.

4. Can negative charge accumulation from touching the earth be harmful?

No, the negative charge accumulated from touching the earth is not harmful to humans. In fact, grounding or earthing, which involves direct contact with the earth, has been shown to have potential health benefits such as reducing inflammation and improving sleep.

5. How can one discharge the negative charge accumulated from touching the earth?

The negative charge accumulated from touching the earth can be discharged by simply walking or moving around. The excess electrons will flow back into the earth, equalizing the charge. Other methods include wearing shoes with conductive soles or using grounding mats to help discharge the charge.