E&M proof for a integralnot sure whats it called

• Thread starter Brown Arrow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E&m Proof
Stokes theorem (or look it up in your book) otherwise it should be a simple matter of using the definition of the cross product (if you know it) and plugging in the definitions of d\bold a = (dydz,dxdz,dxdy) and d\bold I=(dx,dy,dz)
Brown Arrow

Homework Statement

Δ<--- the gradient X<---cross product
(o∫) closed integral

((ΔT)Xda = (o∫)-Tdl

btw what is the realtion ship above called?

Homework Equations

da= axdydz +aydxdz +azdxdy
dl=axdx + aydy + azdy

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure where to go on from here :/ I am kinda lost

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Brown Arrow! :smile:

(have a del: ∇ and an integral: ∫ :wink:)
Brown Arrow said:
btw what is the realtion ship above called?

Stokes' theorem! (or Kelvin-Stokes theorem, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes'_theorem#Kelvin.E2.80.93Stokes_theorem" :wink:)
da= axdydz +aydxdz +azdxdy
dl=axdx + aydy + azdy

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure where to go on from here :/ I am kinda lost

I don't understand what the question is. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can make out of the question you are supposed to prove that

[tex]\int \nabla T \times d\bold a = \oint T d\bold I[/tex]

where [tex] d\bold a = (dydz,dxdz,dxdy) , d\bold I=(dx,dy,dz)[/tex]

Am I right

yes, I am not sure how to go about it.
I am suppose to show that both of them are equal to each other
[tex]
\int \nabla T \times d\bold a = - \oint T d\bold I
[/tex]

its a bit tedious if you don't use the Levi-Civita tensor, but letting dxdy=-dydx (I know it's a bit weird but it's the only way this thing works) the LHS =

[tex] \int \int \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{klm} \partial_{j} T dx^l dx^m [/tex]

[tex]= \int \int \frac{1}{2} (\delta_{il} \delta_{jm} - \delta_{im} \delta_{jl}) \partial_{j} T dx^l dx^m[/tex]

[tex]= \int \int \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{m} T dx^i dx^m - \partial_{l} T dx^l dx^i)[/tex]

[tex]= \int \int \frac{1}{2} (-\partial_{m} T dx^m dx^i - \partial_{l} T dx^l dx^i) = - \oint T dx^i [/tex]

where we used the contracted epsilon identity and changed the last integral into a closed one because going from integrating with respect to an area to a line integral the boundaries change so that the integral becomes closed

Anyway hope this helped the way to do it using standard vector operations is to rewrite [tex] d\bold a = (dydz,dxdz,dxdy) [/tex] as [tex] d\bold a = \frac{1}{2} (dydz -dzdy,dxdz-dzdx,dxdy-dydx) [/tex] which makes sense because the area between two vectors is [tex]\left|\bold a \times \bold b \right| [/tex]

Last edited:
thanks for the help, but i have not learned it the way you have shown above so its really hard for me to understand it. :/

is there a simpler way?

well do you know what the cross product between two vectors is

Related to E&M proof for a integralnot sure whats it called

What is an E&M proof for an integral?

An E&M proof for an integral is a mathematical method used in electromagnetism to solve problems involving electric and magnetic fields. It involves using calculus to find the values of the electric and magnetic fields at a given point.

How does an E&M proof for an integral work?

An E&M proof for an integral works by breaking down a complex electromagnetic problem into smaller, simpler parts. These parts are then solved using calculus and the results are combined to find the final solution.

What are the applications of an E&M proof for an integral?

An E&M proof for an integral is used in a variety of applications, such as calculating the force between two charged particles, determining the electric potential at a point, and finding the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire.

What are the key concepts involved in an E&M proof for an integral?

The key concepts involved in an E&M proof for an integral include the fundamental laws of electromagnetism, such as Gauss's law, Ampere's law, and Faraday's law. It also involves understanding vector calculus, including gradient, divergence, and curl.

How can I improve my understanding of E&M proofs for integrals?

The best way to improve your understanding of E&M proofs for integrals is to practice solving problems and to study the underlying concepts. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend a class or workshop on electromagnetism to deepen your understanding.