E&M Maxwell equations and Stress tensor

In summary, the author was asked to derive Gauss's law and Ampere's law for magnetism from the action, but was unable to do so due to a problem with manipulating the last two terms of the energy-momentum-stress tensor. If someone could help him out, that would be appreciated.
Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello, so I was asked a question in two parts (Peskin & Schroeder problem 2.1). The first part asked me to derive the source-free Maxwell's equations from the action:
[tex]S=\int{d^4 x \frac{-1}{4}F_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}}[/tex]

Given that the vector potential itself is the dynamical variable.

I derived (source-free) Gauss's law and Ampere's law from that action by setting the variation to zero. Is it possible to derive Faraday's law and Gauss's law for magnetism from that action? I was under the impression that those two laws just came from our definition of the E and B field. Since I carried through the whole process and got the 4 equations of motion:
[tex]\partial_\nu F^{\mu\nu}=0[/tex]

I don't see how I could extract the other two Maxwell's equations from this action. Certainly I can't extract them from this equation of motion.

The second part of the problem asked me to find the energy-momentum-stress tensor of E&M. I started by using Noether's theorem, using the translational (in 4 directions) invariance of the action. I think I was going somewhere until I hit a roadblock.

In a nutshell, I used the transformations:
[tex]x^\mu \rightarrow x^\mu+\epsilon^\mu[/tex]

As my symmetry, and then as per the usual formulation I made [itex]\epsilon[/itex] a function of the space-time coordinates instead of a constant vector. I reached a point where:
[tex]F_{\mu\nu} \rightarrow F_{\mu\nu} + \epsilon^\rho(\partial_\rho F_{\mu\nu})+(\partial_\rho A_\nu)(\partial_\mu \epsilon^\rho)-(\partial_\rho A_\mu)(\partial_\nu \epsilon^\rho)[/tex]

I think if I can just take care of the last 2 terms, it should be ok, but I can't think of a way to manipulate them in such a way to combine them into one term, or factor it or something like that. Any ideas? Thanks!

EDIT
If I'm not providing enough info, just tell me, but some help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand. dF=0 is, because F=dA and A is a genuine 1-form. You don't need the action for that.

As for the E_M tensor part, why do you take the parameters as functions of x ?

Matterwave said:
I don't see how I could extract the other two Maxwell's equations from this action. Certainly I can't extract them from this equation of motion.
You should take a look in Jackson or some other text on electromagnetism. If I recall correctly, the other two equations are the result of a dual formulation of [itex]\partial_\mu F^{\mu\nu}=0[/itex].

dextercioby said:
I don't understand. dF=0 is, because F=dA and A is a genuine 1-form. You don't need the action for that.

As for the E_M tensor part, why do you take the parameters as functions of x ?

I'm not sure what you mean by the top part. Are you saying the 2 Maxwell equations I derived need not come from the action?

I make the parameter a function of x because that's how I was taught to find the conserved current.

I figured it out!

Related to E&M Maxwell equations and Stress tensor

1. What are Maxwell's equations in electromagnetism?

Maxwell's equations are a set of four fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered one of the cornerstones of classical physics.

2. What is the significance of the stress tensor in electromagnetism?

The stress tensor is a mathematical tool used to describe the distribution of forces and stresses in a material. In electromagnetism, it is used to calculate the forces and stresses produced by electric and magnetic fields on a material.

3. How are Maxwell's equations and the stress tensor related?

Maxwell's equations and the stress tensor are closely related as they both describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. The equations provide the fundamental laws governing the behavior of these fields, while the stress tensor allows us to quantify and analyze the forces and stresses produced by these fields.

4. What are some practical applications of Maxwell's equations and the stress tensor?

Maxwell's equations and the stress tensor have a wide range of applications, including the design of electrical and electronic devices, the analysis of electromagnetic fields in materials, and the development of new technologies such as wireless communication and renewable energy sources.

5. Are there any limitations to Maxwell's equations and the stress tensor?

While Maxwell's equations and the stress tensor are powerful tools in understanding electromagnetic fields, they are based on classical physics and have limitations in certain situations, such as at high energies or in extreme conditions. They are constantly being refined and expanded upon by scientists as our understanding of electromagnetism continues to evolve.