E&M Fiber Amplifier Homework Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Erbidium doped fiber amplifier (EDFA) in lightwave engineering, which is known for its low noise, high bandwidth, and relatively low cost. The amplifier is "pumped" by a semiconductor laser and has an attenuation constant of u=-0.046m^-1. The question at hand is how long the fiber amplifier should be to amplify 0.01mW to 100mW, and the necessary pumping power needed for an efficiency of 20%. The teacher notes that the wavelengths are irrelevant in this calculation. The solution involves using the loss equation and the efficiency equation, resulting in a required pumping power of 500mW.
snoop

Homework Statement

One of the most exciting developments in lightwave engineering is the Erbidium doped fiber amplifier (ERDF A). It is very quiet(low noise) has a bandwidth of hundreds of GHz and relatively low cost.The fiber is "pumped" by a semiconductor laser operating at 850nm and the light carrying the information at 1550nm is amplified. The 'attenuation'
constant is given as u=-0.046m^-1. If I have 0.01mW entering the ERDFA
and I would like to get 100mW out, how long should be my fiber amplifier?
If the efficiency of the amplifier is 20% how much pumping power do I
need?

Homework Equations

Loss Equation e^(-2*α(z1-z0)

alpha is attenuation constant

if the negative sign was removed. would this be a gain equation?

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where to start, the teacher said the wavelengths were irreverent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a way to calculate the length of fiber needed without knowing the wavelengths? I believe the question is asking the length of the fiber amplifier needed to amplify 0.01mW to 100mW. For the second part, I believe I need to use the efficiency equation, which is (output power/input power) * 100 = efficiency % The efficiency is given as 20%, so the output power would be 0.2 * input power Therefore, the pumping power should be 500mW. Is this correct?

Related to E&M Fiber Amplifier Homework Solutions

1. What is an E&M Fiber Amplifier?

An E&M Fiber Amplifier is a device that amplifies an electrical signal using a combination of electrical and optical components. It is often used in telecommunications and fiber optic networks to boost the strength of the signal for transmission over long distances.

2. How does an E&M Fiber Amplifier work?

An E&M Fiber Amplifier works by converting the electrical signal into an optical signal, which is then amplified by passing it through a doped fiber. The doped fiber is made of glass that contains rare earth elements, which have the ability to amplify the signal through a process called stimulated emission. The amplified optical signal is then converted back into an electrical signal for further transmission.

3. What are the advantages of using an E&M Fiber Amplifier?

One of the main advantages of using an E&M Fiber Amplifier is that it can amplify a signal without the need for conversion to an electrical signal, which reduces the amount of noise and distortion. It also has a wider bandwidth and can transmit signals over longer distances compared to traditional electrical amplifiers.

4. What are some common applications of E&M Fiber Amplifiers?

E&M Fiber Amplifiers are commonly used in telecommunications and fiber optic networks for long-distance transmission of data, voice, and video signals. They are also used in research laboratories for scientific experiments, such as in quantum optics and spectroscopy.

5. What are the key components of an E&M Fiber Amplifier?

The key components of an E&M Fiber Amplifier include a pump source, a doped fiber, and an isolator. The pump source provides the energy needed to amplify the signal, while the doped fiber acts as the amplification medium. The isolator is used to prevent reflections and feedback, which can cause noise and instability in the signal.