E+e- collison Resonance peaks cross-section partial widths

In summary, the Breit-Wigner cross-section for a resonance R is given by a formula involving com energy squared, mass of the resonance, total width of the particle, and partial widths for decay into initial and final state particles. Using the plot of the cross-section near the peak, we can obtain the total width of the resonance, as well as the partial widths for decay into muons and hadrons. The formula also suggests that the total width can be calculated by summing over all partial decay widths. The total width can be read from either the hadron peak or the muon peak, as both are possible decay routes for the resonance.
binbagsss
Question:

The Breit-Wigner cross-section for a resonance R is ## \sigma_{i \to f} =12\pi\frac{\Gamma_{R\to i} \Gamma_{R\to f}}{(s-M^{2})^{2}+M^{2}_{R}\Gamma^{2}_{R total}}## [1],

where ##s## is the com energy squared, ##M_{R}## is the mass of the resonance , ##\Gamma_{R total}## is the total width of the particle, and ##\Gamma_{R\to i,f}## is the partial width for the decay of the particle into the initial and final state particles respectively.

Assuming that ##\Gamma_{R \to e+e-}=\Gamma_{R \to \mu+\mu-}=\Gamma_{R \to \tau+\tau-}## use the plot (attached) of the cross-section near the peak to obtain ##\Gamma_{R total}, \Gamma_{R \to \mu+\mu-}, \Gamma_{R \to hadrons}## and the mass of the resonance?

(The cross-section for ##e+e- \to \mu+\mu-## has been multiplied by ten in the figure).

Solution:

I'm fine with attaining these figures:

##M_{R}=91.2 Gev##
##\sigma_{hadrons}=39.5 nb ##
##\sigma_{\mu+\mu-}=2.0nb##

I understand that the formula reduces to ## \sigma_{i \to f} =12\pi\frac{\Gamma_{R\to i} \Gamma_{R\to f}}{M^{2}_{R}\Gamma^{2}_{R total}}## around the peak.

I don't understand:

1) Why ##\Gamma_{total}=(92.5-90.0)=2.5GeV##

So i see this has been read of from the hadron peak, but I thought that this figure corresponds to ##\Gamma_{R \to hadrons}##.

I think I'm still struggling with these definitions of initial widths, final width and total width. I know that the product has many decay routes, and ##\Gamma_{total}=\Sigma\Gamma_{i}## . I'm unsure of what is defined as an initial state and what is defined as an final state.

Maybe when I understand these better I'll understand why ##2.5GeV## is not ##\Gamma_{R \to hadrons}##.

2) Why ##\sigma_{\mu+\mu-}=\frac{12\pi\Gamma^{2}_{\mu+\mu-}}{M^{2}\Gamma_{total}^{2}}##.

As in I don't understand why ## \Gamma_{R \to i}= \Gamma_{R \to f}## here.

So when computing ##\sigma_{hadrons}##, ##\Gamma_{R \to i}= \Gamma_{\mu+\mu-}## and ##\Gamma_{R \to f}= \Gamma_{hadrons}## Again I'm unsure.

Any one who can help shed some light on this, greatly appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no attachment which makes your questions hard to understand.

1) The width of the peak is always the total width because it comes from the denominator only (the numerator does not depend on s).

2) This is the peak value? See where the cross-section gets maximal, plug it into the formula.

##\Gamma_{R \to i}= \Gamma_{R \to f}## for muons because it got defined above (the process has the same width for electrons and muons).

Apologies, attached here.
(can no longer edit).

Attachments

• e+e-.png
    e+e-.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 430
bump.

[QUOTE="mfb, post: 5050415, member: 405866] (the process has the same width for electrons and muons).[/QUOTE]

I don't know how you know which of electrons or muons is the initial/final decay mode?
What's meant by these terms? I can't find a clear definition on the internet, thanks appreciate it.

Last edited:
binbagsss said:
I don't know how you know which of electrons or muons is the initial/final decay mode?
You have electron/positron collisions -> ee is your initial state.
You consider the decay to muons -> µµ is your final state.

Decay and production give the same factor, it does not matter which one is which.

mfb said:
You have electron/positron collisions -> ee is your initial state.
You consider the decay to muons -> µµ is your final state.

Decay and production give the same factor, it does not matter which one is which.
Ah thanks . so for ##\sigma_{hadrons}, \Gamma_{i}=\Gamma_{e+e-} ## and ##\Gamma_{f}=\Gamma_{hadrons}##, (For## \Gamma_{i}## we've just used ##\Gamma_{e+e-}=\Gamma_{\mu+ \mu-}##

I'm still confused with ##\Gamma_{total}=\Sigma \Gamma_{i}##
Isn't the only initial state e+e- here?

The solution gives it as ##\Gamma_{total}=\Gamma_{hadrons}+\Gamma_{u+u-}+\Gamma_{\tau+ \tau-}+\Gamma_{unseen decays}##

Thanks.

binbagsss said:
I'm still confused with ##\Gamma_{total}=\Sigma \Gamma_{i}##
Isn't the only initial state e+e- here?
That should be the sum over all partial decay widths.

mfb said:
That should be the sum over all partial decay widths.

Ah thanks. Apologies it had ##\Gamma_{total}=3\Gamma_{\mu+ \mu-}+\Gamma_{hadrons}+\Gamma_{unseen} ##
So its took ##\Gamma_{e+e-}## into account - I don't understand why, this isn't a decay route?

I'm still unsure why you read ##\Gamma_{total}## from the hadron peak, why not the ##\mu+ \mu- ## peak say?

So ##\Gamma_{total}## is the total width of the resonance peak,
But there are two resononances - one from the ##\mu+\mu-## and one from the ##e+e-## , how do you know which to consider?

e+ e- is a possible decay.

You can get the total width from all peaks. Shouldn't matter which one you take (you can even use multiple together). Hadrons are more frequent.
What do you mean with two resonances?

Related to E+e- collison Resonance peaks cross-section partial widths

1. What is an E+e- collision?

An E+e- collision is a type of particle collision that occurs between a positron (e+) and an electron (e-). These particles have opposite charges and when they collide, they can create new particles or release energy.

2. What are resonance peaks in E+e- collision?

Resonance peaks are specific energy values at which the probability of a particle being produced in an E+e- collision is significantly increased. These peaks are caused by the presence of a resonance particle, which has a specific mass and can be produced in the collision.

3. What is cross-section in E+e- collision?

Cross-section in E+e- collision refers to the measure of the probability of a particle being produced in the collision. It is a measure of the effective area that the particles must "hit" each other in order to produce a particular particle or reaction.

4. What are partial widths in E+e- collision?

Partial widths in E+e- collision refer to the decay rates of a resonance particle into different decay channels. These decay channels can include different types of particles and the partial widths determine the relative likelihood of the resonance particle decaying into each channel.

5. How is the cross-section related to the partial widths in E+e- collision?

The cross-section in E+e- collision is directly related to the partial widths of a resonance particle. The cross-section can be calculated by multiplying the partial widths by a factor called the branching fraction, which represents the probability of a resonance particle decaying into a specific decay channel.