Moller scattering polarized cross section

In summary, the problem is to find the analytical expression for the scattering cross section of two longitudinally polarized electrons at tree level. The solution involves considering two diagrams at tree level, the t channel and the u channel, and taking into account the relative minus sign between them. After some manipulation and using the identity \sum\limits_{s}u^s(p)\bar u^s(p)=\gamma\cdot p+m, the square of the amplitude can be written in terms of the Mandelstam variables and the initial and final momenta and spins. However, the initial spins are predefined as helicity eigenstates, which makes it difficult to sum over them. While a solution can be obtained by picking a specific representation and
kontejnjer

Homework Statement

[/B]
(Note: this is not strictly homework, but it is related to one course I'm doing, and I can't find a useful solution anywhere)
Find the analytical expression for the scattering cross section of two longitudinally polarized electrons at tree level.

Homework Equations

[/B]
[itex]\displaystyle d\sigma=\left|\mathcal{M}_{fi}\right|^2\frac{d\Phi}{4I}[/itex]
Feynman rules

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
There's two diagrams at tree level since the particles are identical: the [itex]t[/itex] channel and the [itex]u[/itex] channel. There is a relative minus sign between the channels due to the fact the particles are identical fermions. The total scattering amplitude is:
[itex]\displaystyle i\mathcal{M}_{fi}=i\mathcal{M}_{fi}^t+i\mathcal{M}_{fi}^u=\frac{e^2}{t}\bar u^{s'}(p_4)\gamma^\mu u^s (p_2) \bar u^{r'} (p_3)\gamma_\mu u^r (p_1)-\frac{e^2}{u}\bar u^{r'}(p_3)\gamma^\mu u^s (p_2) \bar u^{s'} (p_4)\gamma_\mu u^r(p_1) [/itex]

Here [itex]t=(p_3-p_1)^2[/itex], [itex]u=(p_4-p_1)^2[/itex] are the Mandelstam variables, [itex]p_1[/itex] and [itex]p_2[/itex] are inital momenta with spins [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]s[/itex] respectively, and final momenta [itex]p_3[/itex] and [itex]p_4[/itex] with spins [itex]r'[/itex] and [itex]s'[/itex] respectively. As the initial electrons are longitudinally polarized, we know their spin states, however we still need to sum over the final spins, so the square of the amplitude is:

[itex] \left|\mathcal{M}_{fi}\right|^2=\sum\limits_{s',r'} \left(|\mathcal{M}_{fi}^t|^2+|\mathcal{M}_{fi}^u|^2-2(\mathcal{M}_{fi}^t)^* \mathcal{M}_{fi}^u\right)[/itex]

After some manipulation, and using the identity [itex]\sum\limits_{s}u^s(p)\bar u^s(p)=\gamma\cdot p+m[/itex], we can write down the square of each component as:

[itex]
\sum\limits_{s',r'}|\mathcal{M}_{fi}^t|^2=\frac{e^4}{t^2}{Tr}\left[\gamma^\mu u^s(p_2) \bar u^s(p_2)\gamma^\nu (\gamma\cdot{p}_4+m)\right]\cdot {Tr}\left[\gamma_\mu u^r(p_1)\bar u^r (p_1) \gamma_\nu (\gamma\cdot{p}_3+m)\right]\\
\sum\limits_{s',r'}|\mathcal{M}_{fi}^u|^2=\frac{e^4}{u^2}{Tr}\left[\gamma^\mu u^s(p_2) \bar u^s(p_2)\gamma^\nu (\gamma\cdot{p}_3+m)\right]\cdot {Tr}\left[\gamma_\mu u^r(p_1)\bar u^r (p_1) \gamma_\nu (\gamma\cdot{p}_4+m)\right]\\
\sum\limits_{s',r'}(\mathcal{M}_{fi}^t)^* \mathcal{M}_{fi}^u=\frac{e^4}{ut}{Tr} \left[\gamma^\mu u^s(p_2) \bar u^s(p_2)\gamma^\nu(\gamma\cdot{p}_3+m) \gamma_\mu u^r(p_1)\bar u^r (p_1) \gamma_\nu (\gamma\cdot{p}_4+m)\right][/itex]

This is the part that I get stuck on: the initial spins are predefined so I can't just sum over them, and the previously mentioned identity doesn't work in this case, all I know is that the initial spins should be helicity eigenstates. There's a reference paper for this exact topic by Adam M. Bincer - Scattering of longitudinally polarized fermions (DOI: 10.1103/PhysRev.107.1434), but the notation is somewhat outdated and I think it omits some crucial steps.

I know I could just pick a representation and a frame and do the whole trace calculation using some symbolic software, but the end result doesn't give me much qualitative info, what I'd like is to just have a frame-independent square of the scattering amplitude in terms of 4-momenta, so I can just pick any frame (say, COM or lab) and get the analytic result. Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Likes CAF123
Nope, I'm still no closer to a solution than I was a week ago. Any takers?

Related to Moller scattering polarized cross section

1. What is Moller scattering polarized cross section?

Moller scattering polarized cross section is a measure of the probability of a polarized electron being scattered by a target material. It describes the interaction between polarized particles and the target material.

2. Why is Moller scattering polarized cross section important in science?

Moller scattering polarized cross section is important because it allows scientists to study the properties of materials and particles. By analyzing the cross section, scientists can gain insights into the structure and behavior of particles, which can lead to a better understanding of the laws of physics.

3. How is Moller scattering polarized cross section calculated?

Moller scattering polarized cross section is calculated using the quantum mechanical theory of scattering. This involves solving the Schrödinger equation to determine the wave function of the scattered particles, and then using this information to calculate the probability of scattering in a particular direction.

4. Can Moller scattering polarized cross section be measured experimentally?

Yes, Moller scattering polarized cross section can be measured experimentally by using accelerators to produce polarized electrons and directing them at a target material. The scattered electrons can then be detected and analyzed to determine the cross section.

5. How is Moller scattering polarized cross section used in practical applications?

Moller scattering polarized cross section has a wide range of practical applications, including in medical imaging, materials science, and nuclear physics. It can be used to study the properties of materials and particles, as well as to develop new technologies and treatments.