Dynamics- Two Body Problems

In summary, two blocks with masses of 6.8kg and 3.4kg are stacked on each other with coefficients of static friction of 0.34 and 0.65 between the lower block and the floor and between the two blocks, respectively. A force of 18N is being applied to the top block to the left. To prevent the top block from slipping, a maximum force of |mAgμsA|<|FA+amA| must be applied to the lower block, with two possible solutions for the acceleration. The acceleration can be determined with additional information on the coefficients of kinetic friction.
hsphysics2

Homework Statement

Two blocks are stack on each other. The lower block has a mass of 6.8kg and μs=0.34 with the floor. The top block has a mass of 3.4kg and μs=0.65 between the two blocks. A force of 18N is being applied to the top box to the left. What maximum force can be applied to the lower block without the upper block slipping? What is the acceleration of the system?

Homework Equations

Fx= max

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew free body diagrams for the system, and started the 3 equations as the following;

for mA,
Fx= mAax
T- μsη-mAgsinθ= mAax 1)Fy= maay
η-magcosθ=0for mB,
Fx= mBax
mBg-T=mBax 2)I think I should add 1) and 2) to each other so I can get rid of T but I'm not sure about where I should go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the OP has chosen an unusual set of variable names and not defined them, I cannot comment on the equations given.

The first thing to check is the state of things with no force applied to the lower block. We find that the 18N is sufficient neither to make the top block slide on the lower block, nor to make both blocks slide on the table.
Next, we must ask what the force applied to the lower block must do in order to make the blocks slide relative to each other. If it also makes nothing move then the 18N still won't. So the extra force must make the lower block accelerate so fast that the combination of the top block's inertia and the 18N force overcomes the static friction.

|mAsA|<|FA+amA|, where the acceleration a is measured oppositely to the 18N force.
Note that this has two solutions.
To achieve this acceleration, a(mA+mB)=FB+/-(mA+mB)gμkB, where the +/- sign is opposite to the sign of FB.
Since we are not told any coefficients of kinetic friction, we cannot go further without making assumptions.

Related to Dynamics- Two Body Problems

What is a "Two Body Problem" in dynamics?

A "Two Body Problem" in dynamics is a mathematical problem that involves analyzing the motion of two objects, typically in a gravitational field, as they interact with each other. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is used to understand the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars.

What are the key factors that affect the motion of two bodies in dynamics?

The key factors that affect the motion of two bodies in dynamics are the masses of the two objects, the distance between them, and the forces acting on them. In a gravitational two body problem, the force of gravity between the two objects is the dominant force.

What is the significance of solving a two body problem in dynamics?

Solving a two body problem in dynamics allows us to understand and predict the motion of two interacting objects. This is crucial in fields such as astronomy, where the motion of celestial bodies must be accurately calculated for navigation and other purposes. It also helps us understand the fundamental laws of motion and gravity.

What are the two types of solutions for a two body problem in dynamics?

The two types of solutions for a two body problem in dynamics are analytical solutions and numerical solutions. Analytical solutions involve using mathematical equations to find an exact solution, while numerical solutions involve using computer algorithms to approximate a solution.

What are some real-life examples of two body problems in dynamics?

Some real-life examples of two body problems in dynamics include the motion of Earth and its moon, the motion of a satellite around a planet, and the motion of two stars in a binary star system. These systems can be modeled and analyzed using the principles of dynamics and the laws of motion and gravity.