Dynamics - sled up a hill with several angles?

In summary, the problem involves a boy pulling a sled up a 18 degree hill with a 40.0N force at a 35 degree angle above the horizontal. The task is to find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow. The equation for coefficient is Force of Kinetic Friction / Normal Force, but the difficulty lies in finding the kinetic friction. The coordinate system in this problem has the x-direction parallel to the slope, and the x-component of the pulling force is not equal to the friction force due to the gravity component. Zero net force does not necessarily mean no movement.
optoracko

Homework Statement

A boy drags his sled of 90.0N at a constant speed up a 18 degree hill. He pulls with a 40.0N force on a rope which is 35 degrees above the horizontal.

a) What is coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled and the snow?

Homework Equations

Coefficieint = Force of Kinetic Friction / Normal Force

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the normal force, no problem. It's just the kinetic friction I'm having trouble finding. I would think that the kinetic friction would be whatever the x component of the force applied is, since that is what is opposing the sled. However, if that was true, the Force net of the x prime would be 0. How would this be the kinetic friction then? Wouldn't it be for static since there is no movement?

I thought of doing this and checked yahoo answers, a response had a similar method. I just don't understand why to do this though.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand. What is your coordinate system? Is the x-direction parallel to the slope, or parallel to the horizontal? What is x prime?

JaWiB said:
I'm not sure I understand. What is your coordinate system? Is the x-direction parallel to the slope, or parallel to the horizontal? What is x prime?
The x direction is parallel to the slope. X basically the x direction (the slope, back and forth). Don't know why I said prime now, lol.

Ok, well first of all the x-component of the pulling force isn't equal to the friction force because gravity also has a component in the x-direction. Second, zero net force means zero acceleration, not necessarily no movement.

Related to Dynamics - sled up a hill with several angles?

What is dynamics?

Dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces, particularly how they affect the behavior of objects.

How does a sled move up a hill with several angles?

A sled moves up a hill with several angles due to the forces acting on it. The force of gravity pulls the sled downwards, while the normal force from the ground pushes it upwards. The angle of the hill affects the magnitude and direction of these forces, resulting in the sled moving up the hill at a certain speed.

What factors affect the dynamics of a sled going up a hill?

The dynamics of a sled going up a hill are affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the sled, the angle of the hill, the force of gravity, and the friction between the sled and the ground. Other external factors such as wind or air resistance may also play a role.

How does friction affect the dynamics of a sled going up a hill?

Friction is an important factor in the dynamics of a sled going up a hill. Friction between the sled and the ground can either help or hinder the sled's movement, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force. The type of surface the sled is moving on also affects the amount of friction present.

What are some real-life applications of understanding the dynamics of a sled going up a hill?

Understanding the dynamics of a sled going up a hill has practical applications in various fields, such as engineering and sports. Engineers may use this knowledge to design efficient and safe vehicles for navigating hilly terrain, while athletes can use it to improve their performance in winter sports like sledding and skiing.