Why is the velocity at the cusp point equal to the final velocity on the hill?

In summary, the problem involves a sled going down a frictionless hill and stopping on flat ground with friction. The goal is to solve this without using conservation of energy. The appropriate kinematics equation, vf^2 = vi^2 + 2aΔx, is used to find the velocity at the bottom of the hill, which is then used as the initial velocity on the flat ground. The question arises about why the entire final velocity on the hill should be used for the initial velocity on the flat, and it is concluded that it depends on the details of the transition from the slope to the horizontal. If there is a smooth transition, the whole velocity is transferred, but if there is an abrupt change or friction starts before the
ButteredCatParadox

Homework Statement

A sled goes down a frictionless hill onto flat ground with friction. The sled comes to a stop in some distance. The height of the hill, the angle of the hill w.r.t the horizontal, the initial velocity of the sled, and the coefficient of kinetic friction are all known. I want to solve this without using conservation of energy.

Homework Equations

Constant acceleration equations of motion, Newton's 2nd law.

The Attempt at a Solution

The velocity at the bottom of the hill can be found using the appropriate kinematics equation. This velocity can then be used as the initial velocity in solving how far the sled travels on the flat ground.

My question is regarding the velocity at the cusp point between hill and flat ground. What is a good argument for why the entire final velocity on the hill should be used for the initial velocity on the flat (as opposed the horizontal component)? If I draw a free body diagram at the cusp point, I want the forces to net to zero in the direction perpendicular to half the hill angle in order for direction, but not magnitude of velocity to change. When I do this, I get an expression that's not clear to me why it equals zero:
W*sin(Θ/2)-μk*N2*cos(Θ/2)+N1sin(Θ/2)-N2sin(Θ/2)=0
where W=weight of sled, Θ=hill angle, μk=coefficient of kinetic friction, N2=normal force of flat on sled, N1=normal force of hill on sled. The values of N1 and N2 at the cusp point seem like they should be different than when the sled is either only on the hill or only on the flat.

I want to understand this without invoking conservation of energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
ButteredCatParadox said:

Homework Statement

A sled goes down a frictionless hill onto flat ground with friction. The sled comes to a stop in some distance. The height of the hill, the angle of the hill w.r.t the horizontal, the initial velocity of the sled, and the coefficient of kinetic friction are all known. I want to solve this without using conservation of energy.

Homework Equations

Constant acceleration equations of motion, Newton's 2nd law.

The Attempt at a Solution

The velocity at the bottom of the hill can be found using the appropriate kinematics equation. This velocity can then be used as the initial velocity in solving how far the sled travels on the flat ground.

My question is regarding the velocity at the cusp point between hill and flat ground. What is a good argument for why the entire final velocity on the hill should be used for the initial velocity on the flat (as opposed the horizontal component)? If I draw a free body diagram at the cusp point, I want the forces to net to zero in the direction perpendicular to half the hill angle in order for direction, but not magnitude of velocity to change. When I do this, I get an expression that's not clear to me why it equals zero:
W*sin(Θ/2)-μk*N2*cos(Θ/2)+N1sin(Θ/2)-N2sin(Θ/2)=0
where W=weight of sled, Θ=hill angle, μk=coefficient of kinetic friction, N2=normal force of flat on sled, N1=normal force of hill on sled. The values of N1 and N2 at the cusp point seem like they should be different than when the sled is either only on the hill or only on the flat.

I want to understand this without invoking conservation of energy.
Your 'appropriate kinematics equations ' are based on conservation of energy. Have you considered this?

lychette said:
Your 'appropriate kinematics equations ' are based on conservation of energy. Have you considered this?
Hi Lychette,

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure I follow. The equation to which I was referring was:
vf2=vi2+2aΔx
which is derived just from the assumption that acceleration is constant.

This problem comes from a section before conservation of energy is introduced so it should be understandable w/o invoking those concepts.

ButteredCatParadox said:
What is a good argument for why the entire final velocity on the hill should be used for the initial velocity on the flat (as opposed the horizontal component)?
There isn't one. It depends on details.
If there is a smooth transition from slope to horizontal, still without friction, then the whole velocity is transferred.
If it is very abrupt, there is effectively an impact in the vertical direction. Even if it is partly elastic it doesn't help because the vertical component will remain vertical, i.e. bouncing, and not contribute to the forward motion on the horizontal.
If it is a smooth curve but friction starts before the end of the curve then the normal force is a little stronger than on the level since it has to provide centripetal acceleration. Thus the frictional loss is a bit greater than later on.

Likes ButteredCatParadox
ButteredCatParadox said:
Hi Lychette,

Thanks for the response.

I'm not sure I follow. The equation to which I was referring was:
vf2=vi2+2aΔx
which is derived just from the assumption that acceleration is constant.

This problem comes from a section before conservation of energy is introduced so it should be understandable w/o invoking those concepts.
The equation you are referring to is an indication of conservation of energy i.e. ...increase in KE = work done

lychette said:
The equation you are referring to is an indication of conservation of energy i.e. ...increase in KE = work done
BCP is correct. Δ(v2) = 2as is a simple matter of kinematics.
It is equivalent to saying that the work done on the object equals its gain in KE, but that is always true. It is not affected by friction etc. Conservation of work is to do with whether this also matches the work done by other objects, gravity etc.

haruspex said:
There isn't one. It depends on details.
If there is a smooth transition from slope to horizontal, still without friction, then the whole velocity is transferred.
If it is very abrupt, there is effectively an impact in the vertical direction. Even if it is partly elastic it doesn't help because the vertical component will remain vertical, i.e. bouncing, and not contribute to the forward motion on the horizontal.
If it is a smooth curve but friction starts before the end of the curve then the normal force is a little stronger than on the level since it has to provide centripetal acceleration. Thus the frictional loss is a bit greater than later on.
Thanks for the helpful response, haruspex.

How can one differentiate between a smooth and abrupt transition? If θ is 25°, could the instant of transition be treated as (uniform) circular motion?

ButteredCatParadox said:
What is a good argument for why the entire final velocity on the hill should be used for the initial velocity on the flat (as opposed the horizontal component)?

One argument is that that is what you would practically expect in most circumstances. E.g. ski-jumper, car or bicycle getting to the bottom of a slope. They don't suddenly lose their vertical speed when they hit the flat. If I go downhill on my bike, I expect to take all that speed forward onto the flat. It would be pretty weird suddenly to slow down at the bottom of a hill!

PeroK said:
One argument is that that is what you would practically expect in most circumstances. E.g. ski-jumper, car or bicycle getting to the bottom of a slope. They don't suddenly lose their vertical speed when they hit the flat. If I go downhill on my bike, I expect to take all that speed forward onto the flat. It would be pretty weird suddenly to slow down at the bottom of a hill!
Thanks for example, PeroK.

If there were an abrupt transition between hill and flat, wouldn't you expect to lose at least a little speed on your bike due to the impact?

ButteredCatParadox said:
Thanks for example, PeroK.

If there were an abrupt transition between hill and flat, wouldn't you expect to lose at least a little speed on your bike due to the impact?

If it was too abrupt I might expect to fall off!

haruspex said:
BCP is correct. Δ(v2) = 2as is a simple matter of kinematics.
It is equivalent to saying that the work done on the object equals its gain in KE, but that is always true. It is not affected by friction etc. Conservation of work is to do with whether this also matches the work done by other objects, gravity etc.

The simple matter of kinematics comes directly from analysing conservation of energy.
Gravitational PE can be converted to KE...Wh = (mv2)/2 or mgh = (mv2)/2 gives v2 = gh
Also KE = force x displacement... (mv2)/2 = F x s = mas giving v2 = 2as
BCP wants to avoid using conservation of energy but by using the kinematic equations he is effectively using conservation of energy.
It would be a strange world if the kinematic equations were in some way separate from conservation of energy.

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat surface that is angled or tilted. It allows for the movement of objects upwards or downwards with less force than it would take to lift the object straight up.

What is the significance of the angle of an inclined plane?

The angle of an inclined plane determines the mechanical advantage of the machine. The smaller the angle, the less force is required to move an object along the plane.

How does friction affect the efficiency of an inclined plane?

Friction can decrease the efficiency of an inclined plane by creating a resistance force that must be overcome to move an object along the plane. This means that more force is needed to move the object, resulting in a lower mechanical advantage.

What are some real-life examples of inclined planes?

Inclined planes can be found in many everyday objects, such as ramps, stairs, and even playground slides. They are also used in larger structures like wheelchair ramps and roads that are built on hilly terrain.

How does the length of an inclined plane affect its mechanical advantage?

The longer the inclined plane, the smaller the angle and the greater the mechanical advantage. This is because a longer inclined plane allows for a longer distance over which the object can be moved, requiring less force to do so.