Dynamics rigid body cabinet problem

In summary, the mad term is included in the moments equation because it represents the acceleration of the centre of mass. The sign of the mad term depends on the direction of the force applied to the centre of mass.
Pipsqueakalchemist
Homework Statement
Question and solution below
Relevant Equations
Newton’s 2nd law
Moment equation
So for this question I understand part A but part B is confusing me, when using point B as the centre of the moment, I get different sign for the mad term. If you take clockwise as positive than 100N force and the force at point G are causing a positive moment and gravity is causing an negative moment. But the solutions have different signs as my attempt I don’t understand why. Appreciate it if someone can explain this to me.

Attachments

• 2B0EA3B6-4D57-469A-A3A3-B37BED2170AE.png
    2B0EA3B6-4D57-469A-A3A3-B37BED2170AE.png
    30 KB · Views: 119
  • 38C10DBE-70B6-4406-BFBA-4245743FDC9B.png
    38C10DBE-70B6-4406-BFBA-4245743FDC9B.png
    20 KB · Views: 110
  • 3651C1E1-9807-4DB3-8E4A-9A973D84B10C.png
    3651C1E1-9807-4DB3-8E4A-9A973D84B10C.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 4E5EAB39-0DC1-47D9-B97F-D6D0DD26C5FA.png
    4E5EAB39-0DC1-47D9-B97F-D6D0DD26C5FA.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 110
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Perhaps I am wrong, but from the problem statement, it seems as if the point B is accelerating and thus we are taking moments about an accelerating point. Hence, the ## m a d ## term is included. See the derivation below for why this is the case. ## G ## is the centre of mass and ## A ## is an arbitrary accelerating point.

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 3.50.24 PM.png

Hope this is of some help.

I understand why mad term is included, what I don’t understand is the sign. If you take clockwise direction as positive than the mad term and the 100h should be positive and the weight negative but that’s not the case. If you move the mad term to the left side of the equation the mad term is negative and that’s what I don’t understand.

Sorry I don't quite follow. Can you point me towards which equation you are looking at? I see the equation:

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 4.04.53 PM.png

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I understand why mad term is included, what I don’t understand is the sign.
What is wrong with the sign in the equation? From the derivation that I posted above, this sign convention seems to agree with that (unless I am missing something...).

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
If you take clockwise direction as positive than the mad term and the 100h should be positive and the weight negative but that’s not the case. If you move the mad term to the left side of the equation the mad term is negative and that’s what I don’t understand.
The ## mad ## term is not on the same side of the equation as the ## 100h ## term, as shown in the derivation above. I don't believe the horizontal acceleration is being treated as a fictitious force in this instance. By including the ## mad## term on the same side of the equation as the 'actual forces', you are treating it as a fictitious force, which is not what the solutions do. If you are keen on treating it as such (thus allowing you to include it on the left hand side of the moments equation), the fictitious force should actually oppose the direction of the force ## F ##, which would yield the same moment equation as the solutions show. In short: why would you include the ## mad ## term on the same side of the equation as the other moments?

Likes Lnewqban
Oh I see, I think I understand now, well sort of. Good enough to get the right answer.

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Oh I see, I think I understand now, well sort of. Good enough to get the right answer.

It just comes down to the moments expression. When we take moments about an accelerating point, we need to include this extra acceleration of the centre of mass in the expression. It is a tricky concept and that is why we often try to take moments about the centre of mass, such that we can ignore this extra term. I would suggest reading up on rigid body dynamics and rotational dynamics for a deeper discussion on the topic.

Last edited:

Related to Dynamics rigid body cabinet problem

1. What is the dynamics rigid body cabinet problem?

The dynamics rigid body cabinet problem is a classic physics problem that involves studying the motion of a cabinet that is being pushed or pulled by external forces. The cabinet is considered a rigid body, meaning that its shape and size do not change during the motion.

2. What are the basic principles involved in solving this problem?

The basic principles involved in solving the dynamics rigid body cabinet problem include Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy, and conservation of momentum. These principles help to analyze the forces acting on the cabinet and determine its motion over time.

3. How do you determine the forces acting on the cabinet?

To determine the forces acting on the cabinet, you need to consider all the external forces acting on it, such as the applied force, frictional force, and normal force. These forces can be calculated using equations based on the principles of physics.

4. What are some common assumptions made when solving this problem?

Some common assumptions made when solving the dynamics rigid body cabinet problem include assuming that the cabinet is on a flat surface, neglecting air resistance, and assuming that the cabinet is in equilibrium at the start of the motion.

5. How can this problem be applied in real-life situations?

The dynamics rigid body cabinet problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as studying the motion of a car or a train, analyzing the forces acting on a moving object, or designing structures that can withstand external forces. It is also useful in understanding the concept of stability and balance in everyday objects.