Dynamics rigid body homework question

In summary, according to the diagram, the speed of the V_h is the same at the point of contact for gears a and b because they are both in contact with each other. Additionally, if you are looking to use the V_h = V_e + (w)X(R_h/e) equation, you only need to use the equation for one gear, as gear e is not moving.
Pipsqueakalchemist
Homework Statement
I have the problem below
Relevant Equations
V_b = V_a + (w)X(R_ab)
So I’m confused about a few things in the solution. Why is it that speed of the V_h appears on both gear a and b? Is it because both gears are both in contact so they have equal speeds just in opposite direction. Same confusion for V_e being on the top of gear b. So Just because gear e doesn’t move and the top of gear b is in contact with it, that means the point of contact has the same speed? Also How can I use the V_h = V_e + (w)X(R_h/e) if they are separate gears and not one rigid body.

Attachments

• 48E864F9-1F67-4F53-B8C9-F2A4BE8C1053.png
    48E864F9-1F67-4F53-B8C9-F2A4BE8C1053.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 143
  • F20AD1AC-1143-4805-ABFB-6C6BD8C737C6.png
    F20AD1AC-1143-4805-ABFB-6C6BD8C737C6.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 145
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Why is it that speed of the V_h appears on both gear a and b? Is it because both gears are both in contact
Yes, there is a no slip condition. In this case the velocity ## v_H ## is in the same direction at the point of contact, but the angular velocities ##\omega ## will be in the opposite direction. Note, depending on how the gears mesh, the angular velocities may also be in the same direction (e.g. the way gear B meshes with E), but the velocity ## v ## will always be in the same direction

[EDIT]: Also note that the angular velocities are not necessarily equal, that depends on the radii & number of the gears in mesh

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Same confusion for V_e being on the top of gear b. So Just because gear e doesn’t move and the top of gear b is in contact with it, that means the point of contact has the same speed?
It is because they are in contact that they have the same speed at that point. Gear B is is instantaneously stationary about its point of contact (i.e. the velocity at the point of contact is 0, but it can be thought of as rotating around that point).

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Also How can I use the V_h = V_e + (w)X(R_h/e) if they are separate gears and not one rigid body.
See above, ## V_e ## also refers to the speed of gear B at the point of contact, so I believe this equation is only referring to one equation. This equation can be used as we are using the stationary point of contact as the reference.

I hope that made some sense. If not, let me know.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
Homework Statement:: I have the problem below
Relevant Equations:: V_b = V_a + (w)X(R_ab)

So I’m confused about a few things in the solution. Why is it that speed of the V_h appears on both gear a and b? Is it because both gears are both in contact so they have equal speeds just in opposite direction. Same confusion for V_e being on the top of gear b. So Just because gear e doesn’t move and the top of gear b is in contact with it, that means the point of contact has the same speed? Also How can I use the V_h = V_e + (w)X(R_h/e) if they are separate gears and not one rigid body.
In order to better understand these relationships among meshing gears, you could visualize them as instantaneous levers, as shown in attached diagram.

Please, see:
https://www.tec-science.com/mechani...ary-gear/willis-equation-for-planetary-gears/

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes Master1022
Yeah thanks guys, that helps and makes sense to me

Likes Lnewqban

Related to Dynamics rigid body homework question

1. What is a rigid body in dynamics?

A rigid body is an object that does not deform when subjected to external forces. It maintains its shape and size, and all particles within the body move in the same direction and at the same speed.

2. What is the difference between a rigid body and a non-rigid body?

A rigid body maintains its shape and size when subjected to external forces, while a non-rigid body will deform and change shape. A rigid body is also considered to be a theoretical idealization, as no object in the real world is completely rigid.

3. What are the equations of motion for a rigid body?

The equations of motion for a rigid body include Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) and the rotational equivalent (τ=Iα), where F is the net force, m is the mass, a is the acceleration, τ is the net torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

4. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a rigid body?

The moment of inertia for a rigid body can be calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation squared (I=Σmr²). This can also be represented as an integral for continuous bodies.

5. What is the difference between translational and rotational motion for a rigid body?

Translational motion refers to the movement of the entire rigid body in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to the rotation of the rigid body about a fixed axis. Both types of motion can occur simultaneously for a rigid body, and are described by different equations of motion.