Dynamics Problem: Not Understanding the Acceleration Term

In summary: Thanks.In summary, the problem involves finding the tensile forces in strings connecting particles at points B and C to points A and D, all remaining in the same horizontal plane. The solution involves considering the free body diagrams for the left and right point masses and solving for the x and y components of the tension forces. The acceleration due to gravity is not a factor in the solution as all points are in a horizontal plane. The result is that Tab = Tdc = sqrt(2)*m*a.
ltkach2015

Homework Statement

[/B]
If particles at B and C of equal mass m are connected by strings to each and to points A and D as shown, all points remaining in the same horizontal plane. If points A and D move with the same acceleration a along parallel paths, solve for the tensile force in each of the strings. Assume that all points retain their initial relative positions.

PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT

Homework Equations

Kinematics- total acceleration:
A = 0(i) + g(-j) + a(j) + 0(k) = Ax(i) + Ay(j) + Az(k)

Mechanics:
∑F - mA = 0;

Magnitude of acceleration due to gravity:
g =9.81

Labeling:
Tension between A & B: Tab, etc

Coordinate System:

x to the right
y upwards
z out of the page

The Attempt at a Solution

Freebody Diagram on left point mass (EQ1)
∑F1 - mA = 0 = Tab*cosd(45)(-i) + Tbc(i) + Tab*sind(45)(j) - mA

Freebody Diagram on right point mass (EQ2)
∑F2 - mA = 0 = Tdc*cosd(45)(i) + Tbc(-i) + Tdc*sind(45)(j) - mA

SOLVING:

x-componenets of (EQ1) and (EQ2):

Tab = Tdc

Substituting Tab for Tdc into (EQ2) y-component:

m( g(-j) + a(j) ) = Tab*sind(45)(j)

Showing y-component of (EQ1):

m( g(-j) + a(j) ) = Tab*sind(45)(j)RESULTING:
=> Tab = sqrt(2)mAy = Tdc
=> Tbc = mAy

note:

A =
0(i) + g(-j) + a(j) + 0(k) = Ax(i) + Ay(j) + Az(k)
Ay = -g + a

My Questions:
1) The sign of acceleration due to gravity (g) is negative while on the external forces side of the equation, when usually it is negative. Which tells me that there is something wrong with my acceleration term.

2) But, how else can we solve this problem without including the acceleration due to gravity in the total acceleration? Else, I would need to totally neglect it from the solution.

3) If neglected is that the same thing as considering only the dynamic case? i.e. forget the weight = mg. Why? Is there a more intuitive approach?Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 12.33.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 12.33.06 PM.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ltkach2015 said:
1) The sign of acceleration due to gravity (g) is negative while on the external forces side of the equation, when usually it is negative. Which tells me that there is something wrong with my acceleration term.
g is a positive constant that describes the strength of the gravitation field.

ltkach2015 said:
2) But, how else can we solve this problem without including the acceleration due to gravity in the total acceleration? Else, I would need to totally neglect it from the solution.
The acceleration is given as "a"; g is not part of that.

You are forgetting part of the problem statement, namely the part about "all points remaining in the same horizontal plane." Horizontal, right? So which way does gravity point? So these things must all be taking place on a table of some kind. Right? No gravity involved.

For future reference, you get these things with the sign of things like gravity correct by remembering they are vectors. That is, they have a magnitude and a direction. So gravity points "down." You pick the direction that will be positive, and that tells you the sign.

Doc Al said:
g is a positive constant that describes the strength of the gravitation field. The acceleration is given as "a"; g is not part of that.
Ok I would agree with you too, however, the problem forces me to do one of two things to get the same result:

1) ignore the weight term. I think some call it the dynamic case.
or
2) the weight term is in fact apart of the total acceleration.

Answer:

Tab = Tdc = sqrt(2)*m*a

DEvens said:
You are forgetting part of the problem statement, namely the part about "all points remaining in the same horizontal plane." Horizontal, right? So which way does gravity point? So these things must all be taking place on a table of some kind. Right? No gravity involved.

For future reference, you get these things with the sign of things like gravity correct by remembering they are vectors. That is, they have a magnitude and a direction. So gravity points "down." You pick the direction that will be positive, and that tells you the sign.
I think you are totally right about it being on a horizontal plane. This take care of the solution. Wow. Thanks.

I don't know what you mean about the directions, I believe I did show them.

ltkach2015 said:
Ok I would agree with you too, however, the problem forces me to do one of two things to get the same result:

1) ignore the weight term. I think some call it the dynamic case.
or
2) the weight term is in fact apart of the total acceleration.
You certainly do not want to ignore the weight of the masses! But that doesn't mean g is part of their acceleration.

ltkach2015 said:
Answer:

Tab = Tdc = sqrt(2)*m*a
I'd say that answer is incorrect.

Edit: I misread the problem. Since everything is in a horizontal plane, g plays no role.

ltkach2015 said:
I think you are totally right about it being on a horizontal plane.
D'oh! I missed that. (I had assumed they meant that the masses remain in a horizontal line.)

Good catch, DEvens.

Related to Dynamics Problem: Not Understanding the Acceleration Term

1. What is acceleration and how is it related to dynamics problems?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In dynamics problems, it is an important term that helps us understand how an object's motion changes over time.

2. Why is the acceleration term often confusing in dynamics problems?

The acceleration term can be confusing because it involves both direction and magnitude. It is also affected by various factors such as the object's mass, net force, and friction, making it a complex concept to understand.

3. How can I better understand the acceleration term in dynamics problems?

One way to better understand the acceleration term is to visualize it using diagrams or graphs. You can also break down the problem into smaller parts and analyze each part separately to gain a better understanding.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when dealing with the acceleration term in dynamics problems?

One common mistake is confusing acceleration with velocity. Remember that acceleration is the change in velocity, not the velocity itself. Another mistake is ignoring the direction of acceleration, which can lead to incorrect solutions.

5. How can I apply the acceleration term in real-life situations?

The acceleration term is essential in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in real-life situations. For example, it helps us understand how a car's speed changes as it accelerates or decelerates, or how a ball moves when thrown in the air.