Dynamics - Need help understanding Coriolis acceleration

In summary, the Coriolis acceleration is found by rotating the linear acceleration by 90 degrees in the direction of rotation. In this problem, there are two angular velocities being applied, and the value of the Coriolis acceleration can be expressed as a cross product of the velocity vector and the angular velocity of rotation. It is a pseudo force observed by a non-inertial observer and can cause deflection of objects, such as shells fired from guns, on Earth. Further research or consulting a textbook may be helpful in understanding this concept.
kspabo

Homework Statement

XiaRZE6.png

Homework Equations

Coriolis Accel = 2*v*w

Where w is the angular velocity and v is the linear velocity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really just need help on understanding how the Coriolis acceleration in this problem is depicted. My dynamics book is extremely confusing on this part, so much so that my professor advised us to not even read it. His simple explanation was that the coriolis accel. is found by rotating your linear accel in the direction of the rotation by 90 degrees. In this problem, there are two angular velocities being applied, so I'm confused as to which one affects the coriolis accel.

Also, I would really appreciate just a basic explanation of what the coriolis accel. is, as my professor just gave us the eqn. and the little tip on finding it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
kspabo said:
I really just need help on understanding how the Coriolis acceleration in this problem is depicted. My dynamics book is extremely confusing on this part, so much so that my professor advised us to not even read it. His simple explanation was that the coriolis accel. is found by rotating your linear accel in the direction of the rotation by 90 degrees. In this problem, there are two angular velocities being applied, so I'm confused as to which one affects the coriolis accel.

Also, I would really appreciate just a basic explanation of what the coriolis accel. is, as my professor just gave us the eqn. and the little tip on finding it. Thank you!

when the observer is a non inertial one ,that is he himself is rotating ,his measurement frame of reference will be rotating and he observes some pseudo forces like centrifugal, coriolis etc. so you must do the analysis of measurement from the point of view of a rotating observer and calculate the value of coriolis acceleration and as its a vector it can be expressed as cross product of velocity vector and angular velocity of rotation.
due to coriolis acceleration on Earth the shells fired by the guns get deflected considerably ;go to sites or textbook for a brief intro then try to solve the problem

Related to Dynamics - Need help understanding Coriolis acceleration

1. What is Coriolis acceleration?

Coriolis acceleration is an apparent force that acts on objects in motion on a rotating reference frame. It is caused by the Earth's rotation and is responsible for the deflection of objects moving over long distances.

2. How does Coriolis acceleration affect weather patterns?

Coriolis acceleration plays a significant role in the formation of weather patterns. It causes the rotation of air masses around high and low-pressure systems, which leads to the development of cyclones, hurricanes, and other weather phenomena.

3. What is the Coriolis effect?

The Coriolis effect is the phenomenon that causes objects in a rotating reference frame to appear to deflect from their straight path. It is a result of Coriolis acceleration and is responsible for the direction of winds in the atmosphere and ocean currents.

4. How does Coriolis acceleration affect projectiles?

Coriolis acceleration causes a deflection in the path of projectiles, such as missiles and bombs. This effect must be taken into account when aiming these objects, especially over long distances.

5. Are there any practical applications of Coriolis acceleration?

Coriolis acceleration has several practical applications, including in weather forecasting, navigation, and the design of machines such as centrifuges. It also plays a role in the formation of cyclones and hurricanes, as well as the direction of ocean currents.