Dynamics: impulse and momentum

In summary, a 200-g projectile is fired at a velocity of 900m/s towards a 15-kg wooden block on a rough surface. After penetrating and emerging from the block with a velocity of 300m/s, the velocity of the block just after the projectile leaves is to be determined. The block then slides on the rough surface and eventually comes to rest again. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the surface and the block is μk=0.2. Using the equations of conservation of momentum, impulse, and friction, the force applied by the bullet to the block can be calculated, which can then be used to determine the time the block slides on the surface before coming to rest.
Mesmerr

Homework Statement

a 200-g projectile is fired with a velocity of 900m/s towards the center of the 15-kg wooden block, which rests on a rough surface. If the projectile penetrates and emerges from the block with a velocity of 300m/s, determine the velocity of the block just after the projectile emerges. How long does the block slide on the rough surface, after the projectile emerges, before it comes to rest again? the coefficient of kinetic friction between the surface and the clock is μk=0.2.

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum

∫ƩFdt=∫mdv

Fr=N*μk

N=W

W=m*g

and maybe ƩF=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt is an attached pdf. I am stuck on how to find the force the bullet applied to the block. With that I could do Fb-Fr=ƩF, ƩF(t2-t1)=∫mdv where Δt would be my answer. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• dynamics13-40.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 1,226
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mesmerr said:

Homework Statement

a 200-g projectile is fired with a velocity of 900m/s towards the center of the 15-kg wooden block, which rests on a rough surface. If the projectile penetrates and emerges from the block with a velocity of 300m/s, determine the velocity of the block just after the projectile emerges. How long does the block slide on the rough surface, after the projectile emerges, before it comes to rest again? the coefficient of kinetic friction between the surface and the clock is μk=0.2.

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum

∫ƩFdt=∫mdv

Fr=N*μk

N=W

W=m*g

and maybe ƩF=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt is an attached pdf. I am stuck on how to find the force the bullet applied to the block. With that I could do Fb-Fr=ƩF, ƩF(t2-t1)=∫mdv where Δt would be my answer. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you!
Hello Mesmerr. Welcome to PF !

For what length of time is the bullet passing through the block? You can answer this if you assume that the bullet experiences the same force throughout its path through the block.

The question was how long does the block slide on the surface after the bullet leaves it. I noticed though that it said "after the bullet leaves the block". This means that the bullet is no longer acting on the block meaning you can use the equation of impulse to give you.

ƩFblockΔt=mblockΔv where ƩF = Ffriction

Thanks for the help though! I do see how if you are given the time through the block you can get impulse on the bullet. Then because of Newton's laws the block would experience the same force.

Why can't you just use conservation of momentum (for the bullet-block system) to solve this?

EDIT: I see. Because external forces (friction) act on the system. OK. I don't see a problem with SammyS's approach. Using the impulse momentum theorem, you can at least figure out how much force the bullet applies to the block.

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant equations and principles. In this case, we are dealing with dynamics, specifically impulse and momentum. The impulse-momentum theorem states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse applied to it. In this problem, the projectile applies an impulse to the block, causing it to change its momentum.

To solve this problem, we can use the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless an external force acts on it. In this case, we can consider the projectile and the block as a system, and use the conservation of momentum to solve for the velocity of the block after the projectile emerges.

We can also use the equations for friction (Fr = μkN) and the weight of the block (W = mg) to calculate the normal force (N) acting on the block and the force of friction (Fr) acting on the block as it slides on the rough surface.

Using these equations, we can set up a system of equations to solve for the velocity of the block after the projectile emerges, and the time it takes for the block to come to rest again. I have attached an image with the solution to this problem.

In summary, as a scientist, I would approach this problem by identifying the relevant principles and equations, setting up a system of equations, and solving for the unknown variables. I would also carefully consider any assumptions and approximations made in the solution.

Related to Dynamics: impulse and momentum

What is impulse?

Impulse is defined as the change in momentum of an object. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time it is applied.

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion. It is equal to the product of an object's mass and velocity.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, meaning that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, and the objects may stick together after the collision.

How does impulse affect the motion of an object?

Impulse causes a change in an object's momentum, which in turn affects its motion. A larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum and therefore a greater change in velocity. This is seen in situations such as a moving car colliding with a stationary object, where a larger impulse will cause the car to come to a stop more quickly.