Dynamics help: Spring force and dynamic motion

In summary, the 20-kg sphere, attached to a spring of stiffness 500 N/m is released from an un-stretched position of the spring, as shown in the figure. The ball has a mass of 10 kg and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.25. The block "A" of mass 10 kg moves at a velocity of 1.76 m/s.
medynamics
The 20-kg sphere, attached to a spring of stiffness 500 N/m
is released from an un-stretched position of the spring, as
shown in the figure. Determine the velocity of the
block “A” of mass 10 kg, at the instant the ball has fallen
25 cm. A roller mechanism keeps the spring in a vertical
position. Ignore the size of the ball and the mass of the
spring and roller mechanism. The coefficient of kinetic
friction between the block “A” and the ground is 0.25

Here is an image of the problem:
http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/wellthisisdumb/media/1_zps80a2c31a.png.html

All angles in the triangle are 60°.

I started by making free-body-diagrams for the ball and the block, then I made separate diagrams for the Normal force between the two objects.
Here are the diagrams:
http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/wellthisisdumb/media/2_zpsf6514a00.png.html

I know that as the ball falls, the spring force increases, so the effect of the ball on the block's movement will decrease with distance, so I know I need an equation for motion of the block in terms of x(the displacement of the ball).

Wb = Weight of Ball(B)
Wa = weight of block A
Fs = spring force
Ff = frictional force
Na = Normal force of A
Nb = Normal force of B

Wb = mg = 20(9.8) = 196N
Wa = mg = 10(9.8) = 98N
Fs = 500(.25) = 125 N

Nb = Wb - Fs
= 196 - 500x

Na = Wby + Wa
= Nbsin60 + 98
= (196 - 500x)sin60 +98
= 267.7 - 433x

Wbx = Nbcos30
= (196 - 500x)cos30
= 169.7 - 433x

Ff = μNa
= .25(267.7 - 433x)
= 66.9 - 108x

ƩFx = Wbx - Ff = MaAx
(169.7 -433x) - (66.9 - 108x) = 10Ax
102.8 - 325x = 10Ax
10.28 - 32.5x = Ax

I have my equation for the acceleration of the block in terms of the motion of the ball, so next I used ads = vdv to solve for velocity

ads = vdv
∫ads = ∫vdv (ads from 0 to .25, vdv from 0 to V)
∫(10.28 - 32.5x)dx = 1/2(v^2)
10.28x - 16.25x^2 = 1/2(v^2)
10.28(.25) - 16.25(.25)^2 = 1/2(v^2)
1.55 = 1/2(v^2)
3.1 = v^2
1.76 m/s = v

So I got v = 1.76 m/s as my answer. My professor said to use ads = vdv to solve the problem, and this is the only way that I could get to even using ads = vdv. I feel like I've done it correctly, but we've never done a problem even similar to this in class, so I'm just kind of lost.

If someone could verify that I got the right answer that would be great, and if it's wrong I'd really appreciate a step-by-step solution. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I apologize in advance for how long this post is. I'm a mediocre formatter.

In your diagrams (top right) you have a Wb which I assume should be Nb. Anyway, Na = Nb, right?
In your equations you have Nb = Wb - Fs. Do you mean Nby = Wb - Fs? Even then, you're ignoring that there has to be a resultant vertical force on the ball to account for its acceleration. I haven't checked the rest of your work.

Related to Dynamics help: Spring force and dynamic motion

1. What is spring force and how does it affect dynamic motion?

Spring force is a type of force that is exerted by a spring when it is compressed or stretched. It follows Hooke's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring. In dynamic motion, spring force can cause the object to oscillate or vibrate.

2. How is spring force calculated?

Spring force can be calculated using the equation F = -kx, where F is the spring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The negative sign indicates that the force is in the opposite direction of the displacement.

3. What is the relationship between spring constant and spring force?

The spring constant, represented by the letter k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is directly proportional to the spring force, meaning that a larger spring constant will result in a larger spring force for the same displacement. A softer spring (smaller k value) will exert less force than a stiffer spring (larger k value).

4. How does spring force affect the period and frequency of an object's oscillation?

In dynamic motion, spring force causes an object to oscillate back and forth. The period of oscillation is the time it takes for one complete cycle, and it is affected by the spring constant and the mass of the object. A higher spring constant will result in a shorter period, while a heavier mass will result in a longer period. The frequency of oscillation, which is the number of cycles per unit time, is inversely proportional to the period.

5. Can spring force be ignored in dynamic motion?

No, spring force cannot be ignored in dynamic motion. It is an important force that can significantly affect an object's motion and behavior. Ignoring spring force can lead to inaccurate predictions and calculations in dynamic systems.