[Dynamic Systems] Computing the orbit of a number

In summary, the task is to choose an even number in the interval [100,199] and compute its orbit under the proper divisor function. The proper divisor function, denoted as σ(n), is the sum of all divisors of n excluding n itself. To compute the orbit of a number, the σ function is iterated until a pattern is found. However, this process may take a long time to yield interesting results.
the_green_book

Homework Statement

Choose an even number in the interval [100,199] and compute its orbit under the proper divisor function.

Homework Equations

Proper Divisor Function = σ(n) = Sum of all divisors of n, excluding n

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure what it means by "compute the orbit" of a number. I assumed that it meant that I had to evaluate the number for the given function. Doing that I have:

Chosen number = 138

σ(138) = 1 + 2 + 3 + 6 + 23 + 46 + 69 = 150

I am just not sure if that is what the question is asking. For anyone that has done orbits, is this essentially what I have to do?

Thank you for your assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
the_green_book said:

Homework Statement

Choose an even number in the interval [100,199] and compute its orbit under the proper divisor function.

Homework Equations

Proper Divisor Function = σ(n) = Sum of all divisors of n, excluding n

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure what it means by "compute the orbit" of a number. I assumed that it meant that I had to evaluate the number for the given function. Doing that I have:

Chosen number = 138

σ(138) = 1 + 2 + 3 + 6 + 23 + 46 + 69 = 150

I am just not sure if that is what the question is asking. For anyone that has done orbits, is this essentially what I have to do?

Thank you for your assistance.

'Orbit' means once you have found σ(138)=150, you then find σ(150)=222. Then find σ(222) and keep on iterating the σ function until you get some sort of pattern. You may have made an unfortunate choice of even integer. It takes a very long time to do anything interesting except get larger. See, https://sites.google.com/site/robertharamoto/Home/programming/numbers/aliquot-sequence if you want to see someone elses experiments with this problem.

Last edited:

Related to [Dynamic Systems] Computing the orbit of a number

1. What is a dynamic system?

A dynamic system is a system that changes over time. It is a set of objects or processes that interact with each other and evolve according to a set of rules or equations.

2. How is the orbit of a number computed?

The orbit of a number is computed by applying a mathematical function to the number repeatedly. This creates a sequence of values that represent the number's orbit or trajectory.

3. What is the significance of computing the orbit of a number?

Computing the orbit of a number is significant in studying the behavior of dynamic systems. It allows us to understand how a system evolves over time and how it is affected by different parameters or initial conditions.

4. What are some common applications of computing the orbit of a number?

Some common applications of computing the orbit of a number include chaos theory, population dynamics, weather forecasting, and financial modeling. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering to study and predict the behavior of complex systems.

5. Is there a specific method or algorithm for computing the orbit of a number?

There are various methods and algorithms used for computing the orbit of a number, depending on the specific system and its characteristics. Some common methods include numerical integration, iterative methods, and bifurcation analysis. The choice of method depends on the desired level of accuracy and complexity of the system being studied.