Dynamic Maxwell equations, uniqueness theorem, steady-state response.

In summary, the conversation is about the uniqueness of solutions for interior electromagnetic problems in both lossy and lossless mediums. The frequency-domain uniqueness theorem states that the solution is unique for a lossy medium, but resonant solutions can occur in a lossless medium. The solution in the frequency-domain should also return the steady-state response in the time-domain. However, it is unclear what the resonant solutions would return in the time-domain and whether the solution would still be unique in a forced, lossy medium at a resonance frequency. There is also a question about whether the time-domain uniqueness theorem would return the zero-input response as well. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the person for their help and stating that they have asked the professor for clarification
eliotsbowe
Hello, I'm trying to make a sort of "system theory approach" to dynamic Maxwell's equations for a linear, isotropic, time-invariant, spacely homogeneous medium.

The frequency-domain uniqueness theorem states that the solution to an interior electromagnetic problem is unique for a lossy medium; but if the medium is lossless, then there can be "resonant solutions".

The above-mentioned unique frequency-domain solution should return, in the time-domain, the steady-state response of the electromagnetic field to a sinusoidal source.
What do resonant solutions return in the time-domain?
Let the electromagnetic field be forced, in a lossy medium, at a resonance frequency: would the solution be unique?

If the phasor-domain uniqueness theorem returns the steady-state response, does the time-domain one return the zero-input response as well?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your questions is not entirely clear to me. What book are you studying?

If the question is what would happen in a medium that has no macroscopic energy loss, the answer would be that the oscillations of the medium are not damped. This would mean the initial conditions on the state of the field would be important for the field in later instants, i.e. the particular solution will not be total electromagnetic field - there will be also homogeneous part due to proper oscillations of the medium.

I think I was too confused on the matter, perhaps I couldn't ask my questions in a plain way.
Solution: I asked the professor himself. Thanks anyway!

Related to Dynamic Maxwell equations, uniqueness theorem, steady-state response.

1. What are the Dynamic Maxwell Equations?

The Dynamic Maxwell Equations, also known as Maxwell's equations, are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. They were first formulated by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and have since been used to explain a wide range of electromagnetic phenomena.

2. What is the Uniqueness Theorem in relation to Maxwell's equations?

The Uniqueness Theorem states that if a set of boundary conditions and sources are specified, then there is only one solution to Maxwell's equations. This means that for a given set of inputs, the resulting electric and magnetic fields are unique and can be determined using the equations.

3. How do the Dynamic Maxwell Equations relate to the steady-state response?

The Dynamic Maxwell Equations describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in both time-varying and steady-state situations. The steady-state response refers to the behavior of the fields when all transient effects have dissipated and the system has reached a constant state. The equations can be used to analyze and predict this behavior.

4. Can the Dynamic Maxwell Equations be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the Dynamic Maxwell Equations are widely used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and telecommunications to solve real-world problems. They have been instrumental in the development of technologies such as radio, television, and wireless communication.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Dynamic Maxwell Equations?

While the Dynamic Maxwell Equations are a powerful tool for understanding and predicting electromagnetic phenomena, they do have some limitations. They assume ideal conditions, such as perfect conductors and vacuum, and do not account for quantum effects. In certain situations, such as at the atomic level, other equations and theories may be needed to fully describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields.