Dunkerly vs Rayleigh Clarification

• Thread starter cmmcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rayleigh
In summary, we can see that Dunkerly's method underestimates critical shaft speeds while Rayleigh's method overestimates them. The deflections used in Dunkerly's method only take into account the single mass, while Rayleigh's method includes the deflections from all masses. The provided examples and calculations show that Dunkerly's method is accurate, but Rayleigh's method is giving significantly higher results. This could be due to a discrepancy in the deflection calculations, specifically for the overhung weight. In conclusion, further examination and correction of the deflection calculations is needed to accurately use Rayleigh's method for calculating critical shaft speeds.
cmmcnamara
Hey guys, I was hoping someone could set me straight on the two main methods of calculating shaft critical speeds. I have a final coming up but I can't seem to get these two to agree.

What I know:
-Dunkerly underestimates, Rayleigh overestimates
-Deflections used in Dunkerly are those caused by each single mass (eg remove all other masses during calculations)
-Deflections used in Rayleigh are those calculated with all masses "attached"

What I can do:
-Dunkerly's method very well. Wrote a VBA program for it. All calculations agree with all example problems I've run across as well as HW vs solution manual verifications

What I can't do:
-Rayleigh's method. The answers I get from this do overestimate, but are far, far off from that of Dunkerly, when they should be fairly close to one another. I can follow examples very easily and get the correct answers but I'm missing something in practice myself. For example a HW problem I am working pegs Dunkerly speed at 450 rpm, while Rayleigh gets 1050 rpm which is more than x2 Dunkerly

Can anyone point out what I am doing wrong here, at least by my thinking method? I'd be happy to post some of my worked out examples to see if I am just messing math up, but I am positive I am not.

I appreciate any help, thanks all!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please post your work. It would help us to see the details of your problem.

Hey SteamKing thanks for the quick reply.

I attached a pdf of my work from MathCAD which also has a crudely drawn picture of the beam in question. The deflections that are given come from an Excel program that my professor gave us that will solve the beam deflections.

For Dunkerly I found the deflections by only analyzing the beam with the first force and then only with the second force. For Rayleigh I found the deflections by analyzing the beam with both forces applied just as the picture shows. The rest of the equations should explain the rest of what I am doing.

I've used this same exact method on a bunch of practice examples following them to a tee but whenever I work these problems myself I see a huge disparity between the speeds/frequencies coming out of either method when all examples show usually a +/- of about 100 rpm maximum. I know it can't be a unit problem because MathCAD handles all the unit reduction for you and I've also worked it out by hand just in case and I get the same result as MathCAD. I've also confirmed with my professor that my answer with Dunkerly is correct.

I've been struggling all quarter to get Rayleigh's down properly but I can't seem to get it and have already bugged my professor countless times regarding this and its a subject from a pre-requisite class anyways. I appreciate your help on this greatly!

Attachments

• shaft.pdf
    21.5 KB · Views: 436
What is I for your shaft?

The shaft has a 2" diameter so it should be pi/3

Could you also provide the deflection calculations from the Excel spreadsheet?

Yea sorry about that.

For local deflections used by Dunkerly I got:

Left mass deflection=7.317E-4 in
Right mass deflection=1.311E-3 in

For total deflections used by Rayleigh I got:

Left mass deflection=2.927E-3 in
Right mass deflection=4.332E-3 in

Yes, I saw those numbers on your calculations. What I am looking for is a print of the actual spreadsheet calculations.

I have checked your calculations and I found a discrepancy for the deflection due to the overhung weight of 50 lbs.

According to my calculations, the overhung deflection should be estimated by the formula:
d = WL^3/(3EI), which gives d = 0.0003748 in.

Correcting for this value in the Dunkerly Eq. gives wnd = 590.5 rad/s. The max. shaft op. speed becomes:

590.5 * 0.8 * 60 / (2*pi) = 4500 RPM

One other minor point: omega has units of radians/sec. not Hertz. Strictly speaking, Hertz is used to measure frequency and is derived from cycles/sec., thus

omega = 2*pi*f

I checked the Rayleigh deflections and obtained dr1 = 0.0002911 in and dr2 = 0.0004314 in., which agree with your spreadsheet calculations.

I think the Dunkerly calculation varies from the Rayleigh calculation so much because the estimates of shaft deflection in the former are so much higher than the deflections a proper beam analysis gives. For this shaft, the presence of the overhung weight influences the deflection of the 100 lb weight to a large extent, and this is reflected in the critical shaft speed.

Related to Dunkerly vs Rayleigh Clarification

1. What is Dunkerly vs Rayleigh Clarification?

Dunkerly vs Rayleigh Clarification is a legal case that was decided by the High Court of Australia in 2016. It involved a dispute over the ownership of a patent for a method of treating sleep apnea.

2. What was the outcome of the Dunkerly vs Rayleigh Clarification case?

The High Court ruled that the patent for the sleep apnea treatment method was invalid, as it did not meet the requirements for novelty and inventiveness. This decision effectively ended the legal battle between the two parties and set a precedent for future patent disputes.

3. How did Dunkerly vs Rayleigh Clarification impact the scientific community?

The case sparked discussions and debates about the requirements for obtaining a patent in the scientific community. It also highlighted the importance of carefully reviewing and assessing the novelty and inventiveness of a patent before it is granted.

4. What are the key takeaways from Dunkerly vs Rayleigh Clarification for scientists?

One of the main takeaways is the importance of thoroughly researching and understanding the existing patents in a field before applying for a patent. This can help avoid potential legal disputes and challenges in the future. Additionally, it is essential to ensure that a patent meets the requirements for novelty and inventiveness to increase the chances of it being granted.

5. Are there any ongoing implications of Dunkerly vs Rayleigh Clarification?

While the legal case has been resolved, the decision of the High Court may continue to impact future patent disputes. It sets a precedent for what is considered novel and inventive in the eyes of the law, which could affect the outcome of similar cases in the future.