Dune (2021) movie discussion (incl. spoilers)

In summary, I thought the casting and the acting was very good, and the cinematography was excellent. As a Dune fan I was of course already very familiar with the story, and I wonder how my impression of the movie would have been if I did not know the story. Two things that I also paid attention to and found interesting when I saw the movie were (1) the soundtrack and (2) the general atmosphere of the movie. The soundtrack sounded quite unusual and a bit "alien", which I thought gave the movie an extra touch of feeling "otherworldy". Here's a clip where the composer described working with many different recordings of unusual sound sources to make it more "alien", and I think he
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
This is a thread for discussing the SF movie Dune (2021).
Please post your opinions and reviews of the movie here, which may contain spoilers.

There will be spoilers in this thread so please don't read it
if you haven't seen the movie and don't like it spoiled!

My short review:

I really liked it. I think it was the best SF movie I've seen since quite some time ago.

The casting and the acting was very good, and the cinematography was excellent.
As a Dune fan I was of course already very familiar with the story, and I wonder
how my impression of the movie would have been if I did not know the story.

Two things that I also paid attention to and found interesting when I saw the movie
was (1) the soundtrack and (2) the general atmosphere of the movie.

The soundtrack sounded quite unusual and a bit "alien", which I thought gave the
movie an extra touch of feeling "otherworldy". Here's a clip where the composer
described working with many different recordings of unusual sound sources to
make it more "alien", and I think he succeeded with this:

How Hans Zimmer's Genius Made ‘Dune’ a Musical Masterpiece — Supporting Players
I felt that the atmosphere was quite unusual for a SF movie.
There was sometimes a strong medieval feel to it, which I can't remember having seen
so accentuated before in a SF movie (well, there are some semi-medieval things in
Star Wars, but in my opinion they are more like "sword & sorcery" and "high fantasy").

The portrayal of House Atreides had a strong medieval feel to it (the settings, scenes and ceremonies).
The portrayal of the Bene Gesserit also had a medieval feel to it, and there is a clip where the director
breaks down the scene with the needle test ("Gom Jabbar") and describes that he tried to
make them feel a bit like medieval nuns:

'Dune' Director Denis Villeneuve Breaks Down the Gom Jabbar Scene | Vanity Fair
Also, I think the cinematography of the use of "The Voice" was excellent, and very cool.
And Charlotte Rampling gets a big extra plus from me as the Reverend Mother. She felt cunning and scary.

I very much look forward to the next movie! :smile:

Last edited:
Likes BWV
Physics news on Phys.org
Bandersnatch said:
So, I thought this version of 'Troubled Teen Dreams of Kissing a Girl' was quite excellent.
Viewed through a social realistic lens:

The story of a troubled young man who loses his father and turns to drugs.
He experiences a series of psychoses and gradually develops a messiah complex.
Eventually he becomes a cult leader of a superstitious tribe in a remote location.

Likes Bandersnatch
Why did Duncan Idaho (Jason Momoa) shave the facial hair after meeting the Fremen? Did the actor suffer a horrible shaving accident during shooting in real life? lol

Who betrayed Kynes, Lady Jessica and Paul at the eco station? This based on the scene of the Sardaukar arriving, there was the edge of a device buried in the sand.

There is a scene in Dune 2021 where the script from Dune 1984 is matched word for word. Interesting as it indicates to me that the 2021 team looked at Mr. Lynch's work much more closely than implied.

geishaslave said:

There is a scene in Dune 2021 where the script from Dune 1984 is matched word for word. Interesting as it indicates to me that the 2021 team looked at Mr. Lynch's work much more closely than implied.
Does the example you have in mind also happen to be directly from the book? If that were the case, then I wouldn't be surprised by the exact overlap.

Haborix said:
Does the example you have in mind also happen to be directly from the book? If that were the case, then I wouldn't be surprised by the exact overlap.
Good point. I will dig out my copy of the Dune novel and check that. Thanks for this, had not considered checking.

For those who want to discuss the hypothetical physics of Dune, the Holtzman stuff, folded space navigation, and more, please take a look at the following.

1) Grazier, Kevin R. "Cosmic Origami: Folded Space and FTL in the Duniverse" In Grazier, Kevin R. (ed.) The Science of Dune pp. 177–206 ISBN 978-1-933771-28-1.

https://archive.org/details/scienceofduneuna00graz/page/177/mode/2up

2) The Science of Dune: An Unauthorized Exploration into the Real Science Behind Frank Herbert's Fictional Universe.

Smart Pop 2007

232 pages

Print ISBN: 9781933771281, 1933771283
eText ISBN: 9781935251408, 1935251406

Download AZW3 format below (~2.68MB)

https://1lib.us/book/17939237/ef803b?id=17939237&secret=ef803b

Went to see Dune on Monday. Overall, it was pretty good.

The one bad thing was that the theater had the volume up way too high. I had to put cotton in my ears ten minutes into the movie and still felt like I was going deaf. The volume must have been a constant 110 db - seriously.

Likes DennisN and Haborix
Towards the end, as they were walking with the fremen across the desert (with the distracting sub-par CGI of a worm rider), all I could think of was: put your goddamn masks on.

• Haha
Likes Rive, Haborix and DennisN
Borg said:
Went to see Dune on Monday. Overall, it was pretty good.

The one bad thing was that the theater had the volume up way too high. I had to put cotton in my ears ten minutes into the movie and still felt like I was going deaf. The volume must have been a constant 110 db - seriously.
Agree with you about the volume. I couldn't decide if my long absence from a movie theater was the cause or if they really had just cranked it up.

Borg said:
The one bad thing was that the theater had the volume up way too high.

Haborix said:
Agree with you about the volume. I couldn't decide if my long absence from a movie theater was the cause or if they really had just cranked it up.

:smile:

• Haha
Likes Borg and Haborix
Borg said:
Ouch. Mine had a dirty screen. I say, let the theatres die.

DennisN said:
:smile:

Yeah. About that loud.

• Haha
Likes DennisN

1. What is the plot of "Dune (2021)"?

The movie follows the story of Paul Atreides, a young nobleman who is thrust into a dangerous and political world when his family takes control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of a valuable substance called "spice". As Paul learns about his destiny and the power of the spice, he must navigate through betrayal, war, and the mysterious native people known as the Fremen.

2. How does "Dune (2021)" compare to the book by Frank Herbert?

While the movie stays true to the overall story and themes of the book, there are some changes and adaptations made to fit the medium of film. Some characters and plot points may be condensed or altered, but the essence of the story remains the same. Director Denis Villeneuve has stated that he wanted to make a faithful adaptation that still brings something new and fresh to the story.

3. Who are the main characters in "Dune (2021)"?

The main characters include Paul Atreides (played by Timothée Chalamet), his parents Duke Leto (Oscar Isaac) and Lady Jessica (Rebecca Ferguson), the villainous Baron Harkonnen (Stellan Skarsgård), the powerful and mysterious Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam (Charlotte Rampling), and the leader of the Fremen, Chani (Zendaya).

4. Is "Dune (2021)" a standalone movie or will there be sequels?

The movie covers only the first half of the first book in the "Dune" series by Frank Herbert. Director Denis Villeneuve has expressed his desire to make a sequel to complete the story, but it will depend on the success of the first movie. The studio has also announced plans for a TV series that will serve as a prequel to the movie.

5. What are the themes and messages of "Dune (2021)"?

The movie explores themes of power, politics, religion, and environmentalism. It also delves into the concept of destiny and the consequences of one's choices. The story also highlights the importance of culture and the dangers of imperialism and exploitation. Ultimately, "Dune (2021)" is a cautionary tale about the dangers of greed and the need for balance and harmony in the universe.