Dual major ME/MFG to BS? Or MS ME?

In summary, The individual is considering whether to pursue an undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering at a private or public university. The individual is considering the benefits of an ABET accredited university. The individual is considering the importance of a traditional engineering science degree, or an engineering technology degree, and whether they can complete it in three years. The individual is considering whether to get a BS in Mechanical Engineering or a met degree. If the individual wants to pursue a MS in Aerospace Engineering or Materials Science/Engineering, they should get a BS in a traditional engineering science degree.
Piezoneer
I'm wrapping up my first two years at the Community College and I'll have an AS in MET and an AS in MFT. I like the manufacturing and I see good work with it and want to continue with it. My dilemma is whether to go to the expensive private Uni or stick with the State/Regional for the rest of my undergrad work. I also want to pursue a MS in ME with concentrations in Aero and Materials. Is it worth it to go to the private Uni for 2 years and continue onto the MS or transfer when I'm ready for grad school? GPA is 3.3 atm.

Physics news on Phys.org
Like others have stated on the board, as long as the university you are attending for your undergraduate engineering degree is ABET accredited, it's not a huge deal where you go. Your graduate degree, however, will depend much more on what university you attend (especially if you want to go into research).

My question to you is, do you plan on getting a BS in MFT or MET? My local university has a great Engineering Technology program in many areas, but it is not very common to graduate with a BS in an Engineering Tech program and go on to an MS program in a traditional Engineering Science program.

If your goal is to get an MS in Aerospace Engineering or Materials Science/Engineering, I would suggest getting a BS in a traditional Engineering Science degree (not a tech), or getting it as a second BS. If you want to stick with the hands-on/manufacturing side, stick with an ET degree. But I would warn you that although many ET programs provide great training, many employers consider it as 'not an actual engineering degree'. The place where I work hires many ET graduates and pays them well, but it is one of the few companies of which I know that does this.

Good luck.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in many Mechanical Engineering BS programs, you're able to take courses as Technical Electives that count toward your degree that involve hands-on labs. I have a friend who likes manufacturing and machining and is planning on taking advanced MFG labs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great reply. I am finished with the ET degrees and will be going for a traditional ME BS and hopefully fill it with concentrations that I find interesting. You confirmed my suspicions that the undergraduate education is largely similar to the 35k+ tuition private institutions. I have no problem paying a premium for the recognizable name on my MS. Any advice on what a concentration like Aerospace will require in terms of maths and physics? Is calculus based physics important for that, because my school only offered non-calc based physics. I'm planing on at least another 3 years of school before hitting the job market. Is it realistic to think I can get a MS in ME in that time? I'm used to 18-20 credit hours with lots of labs. Thank you again for your time.

Related to Dual major ME/MFG to BS? Or MS ME?

1. What is a dual major in ME/MFG to BS?

A dual major in ME/MFG to BS stands for a dual major in Mechanical Engineering (ME) and Manufacturing (MFG) to a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree. This means that a student will study both ME and MFG simultaneously and graduate with a BS degree in both majors.

2. Is a dual major in ME/MFG to BS a common degree program?

It depends on the university or college. Some institutions offer a specific dual major program in ME/MFG to BS, while others may allow students to create their own dual major by combining courses from both majors. Overall, it is not as common as a single major in either ME or MFG.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a dual major in ME/MFG to BS?

A dual major in ME/MFG to BS can provide students with a well-rounded education in both mechanical engineering and manufacturing, which are closely related fields. This can make them more competitive in the job market and open up more career opportunities. Additionally, a dual major can also save time and money compared to pursuing two separate degrees.

4. Can a student also pursue a MS in ME after completing a dual major in ME/MFG to BS?

Yes, it is possible for a student to pursue a Master of Science (MS) degree in Mechanical Engineering after completing a dual major in ME/MFG to BS. However, admission into a MS program will depend on the specific requirements and criteria of the university or college.

5. Are there any specific courses or prerequisites required for a dual major in ME/MFG to BS?

The specific courses and prerequisites may vary between institutions, but in general, a strong background in math and science is necessary for both ME and MFG majors. It is recommended for students interested in this dual major to research the requirements of their desired university or college beforehand.