Dreaming About Math - How It Helps Me Solve Problems

• Thread starter Square1
  • Start date
In summary: I dreamed about math in graduate school a few times but it was always repetitive attempts to apply the same dumb, wrong techniques.
Square1
I find it strange that I would experience this and that I would be the one out of everyone to start asking around since I've mentioned in previous posts that I am rather math handicapped...

Yea. So in late elementary and early junior high was the first time this happened. I would start dreaming about math problems on the topic of recent material. Even back then when I hated math I remember the instances when I did dream about it, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it because my head was so clear to think about things unlike during the day where is just so difficult to focus on the stuff.

I still sometimes dream about math but in more detail than I used to. I used to just think about subjects in my sleep, now I THINK (from what I can remember from the dreams :) ) I am beginning to try and solve problems as supposed to just thinking about concepts.

I've also noticed that sometimes, if I struggle with s problem, even for an hour because I am at a silly roadblock of some sort that I can't immediately see, the moment I climb into bed my mind also clears. I can visualize my paper so well and step by step go through a problem much more calmly and the result is that I solve it in a minute, compared to the hour I just spent on it (this just happened yesterday and so it gave me the push to post about it here lol )

Im sure there are many like me here in some regard. What have you learned from this behaviour? Has it helped you figure out what kind of learning works good/bad? Share what you can!

Physics news on Phys.org
This has happened to me before , strange new symbols and logic would be introduced into my dreams , often I try to remember but I seldom succeed at it.

I proved Fermat's Last Theorem in my sleep but the margin was too small.

That sort of thing used to happen to me all the time until I took an arrow in the knee...

This happens to me a lot- it often keeps me awake if I have a very tantalising maths problem to solve. But then when I try and write down what I've just been thinking in bed I usually realize that what I'd just been thinking makes absolutely no sense.

i dreamed the other night that everyone i knew was an anti-symmetric matrix. i kept warning them that their diagonals were all 0, but they paid me no heed.

Deveno said:
i dreamed the other night that everyone i knew was an anti-symmetric matrix. i kept warning them that their diagonals were all 0, but they paid me no heed.

That's a skewed vision of reality :biggrin:

I wish I could dream about math, sounds really fun haha

I like this comment very very much:
jhae2.718 said:
Elliptic curves man, crazy stuff to dream about.

jhae2.718 said:

I see what you did there.

I dreamed that my girlfriend and I got into a huge argument because she was claiming closed intervals in R weren't compact.

Samuelb88 said:
I dreamed that my girlfriend and I got into a huge argument because she was claiming closed intervals in R weren't compact.

Did you ask her what topology she worked with??

micromass said:
Did you ask her what topology she worked with??

^Brilliant! I like it^

Also, +1 for having a girlfriend with whom it is not unreasonable to talk about math!

RadiantL said:
I wish I could dream about math, sounds really fun haha

I used to be an adventurer like you...

clanijos said:
^Brilliant! I like it^

Also, +1 for having a girlfriend with whom it is not unreasonable to talk about math!

It was still a dream. :wink:

I dreamed about math in graduate school a few times but it was always repetitive attempts to apply the same dumb, wrong techniques.

Related to Dreaming About Math - How It Helps Me Solve Problems

1. What is the connection between dreaming and math problem solving?

There have been numerous studies that show a strong connection between dreaming and problem solving. During the REM stage of sleep, the brain is highly active and can make connections and associations between seemingly unrelated pieces of information. This can be especially useful for solving complex math problems.

2. Can dreaming about math actually improve my problem solving skills?

Yes, it has been shown that dreaming about a problem can improve problem solving skills. This is because during dreams, the brain is free from distractions and can focus solely on the problem at hand. Additionally, the creative and abstract thinking that occurs during dreaming can lead to new insights and solutions.

3. How can I increase the chances of dreaming about math?

There is no guaranteed way to dream about a specific topic, but there are a few things you can try. One method is to spend some time thinking about a specific math problem before going to sleep. You can also try writing down the problem or visualizing it before bed. Another technique is to repeat a mantra or affirmation related to math problem solving as you fall asleep.

4. Are there any downsides to dreaming about math?

For most people, there are no downsides to dreaming about math. However, some individuals may find that their dreams become too intense or disruptive, which can lead to difficulty sleeping. If this happens, it may be helpful to try some relaxation techniques before bed or to focus on a different subject while falling asleep.

5. Can dreaming about math help me solve problems I am struggling with while awake?

Yes, dreaming about math can be especially helpful for solving problems that you may be struggling with while awake. This is because the dreaming brain is able to make connections and think creatively without the limitations and distractions of waking life. It may also help to write down or record any insights or solutions that come to you in your dreams, so you can revisit them when you are awake.