Drawing Geometry Questions: Can You Help?

In summary, for part (a), the parallelogram law is correct. For part (e), the law is correct, but you can also use vector subtraction. For part (f), the principle is the same, but you need to flip the vector.
ineedhelpnow
can someone tell me if i drew these right. and also I am stuck on part (f). how do i draw that? i attached the original questions and my drawings.

View attachment 2955

View attachment 2954

for part (a) and (e) i used the parallelogram law

Attachments

• DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for (b) should my b vector be pointing the other direction?

6a to e is right. B is right, but if you want to know, there's two ways to think about it:

b) $a-b = a+-b$

We can apply what we know about adding vectors tip to tail. That is the easiest way to think about it, and I think most people use that way. However, you can also apply vector subtraction, such as $a-b$, by connecting the vectors tail to tail. The resultant vector's tail will be on the tip of $a$, and point towards (the tip of) $b$. (that is easy to prove). So for B, your resultant vector indeed points from $b$ to $a$, which is correct.

Last edited:
yes that's how i see it. a+(-b) so should my b in that drawing be point in the opposite direction (-b)?

ineedhelpnow said:
yes that's how i see it. a+(-b) so should my b in that drawing be point in the opposite direction (-b)?

It's correct as it is. Although, you can physically redraw the vector $b$ as $-b$ by flipping the vector, and connect it head to tail with vector A. This should produce the same vector as you have drawn above. Alternative, you can draw the whole parallelogram, as the following:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...llelogram_law.PNG/220px-Parallelogram_law.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

f) is based on the same principle.
$$2b-a$$
We can rewrite it as $2b+ (-a)$. Now we can draw $b$ twice its length, and flip the vector $a$ in the opposite direction. Now connect them head to tail to draw the resultant vector.

for part (f) i flipped vector a so now its -a and its connected to the tail of 2b (b twice in length) and for (b) i flipped the vector in the opposite direction so it is now -b and is connected to the tail of a. correct?

Although I think you are right, you have to specify which part of $-a$ (head or tail) that is connected to the tail of $2b$.

Attachments

• DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 45
Those look correct. :D

Thanks Rido!

Related to Drawing Geometry Questions: Can You Help?

1. What is the purpose of drawing geometry?

The purpose of drawing geometry is to visually represent mathematical concepts and relationships. Drawing can help us better understand and solve geometric problems.

2. How can I improve my drawing skills for geometry?

To improve your drawing skills for geometry, it is important to practice regularly and pay attention to details such as angles, proportions, and symmetry. You can also use tools such as rulers and protractors to help you accurately draw geometric shapes.

3. What are the most important geometric principles to keep in mind when drawing?

The most important geometric principles to keep in mind when drawing include understanding the properties of different shapes, such as angles and sides, and being able to accurately measure and draw these elements. It is also important to understand geometric constructions and how to use them to create specific shapes and angles.

4. Can drawing geometry help improve problem-solving skills?

Yes, drawing geometry can help improve problem-solving skills by providing a visual representation of mathematical concepts. This can help individuals better understand and visualize geometric problems, making it easier to come up with solutions.

5. Are there any specific tools or techniques that can help with drawing geometry?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques that can help with drawing geometry. These include rulers, protractors, compasses, and geometric constructions such as bisecting angles and constructing perpendicular lines. It is also helpful to use graph paper to ensure accurate measurements and proportions.