Draw Line Easily: Quick Cad Ques. For E4', S2', E120', N2', E4', N1.5

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cad
In summary: You can also use a combination of relative and absolute coords in one command. In summary, to draw the given line in AutoCAD, use the 'pline' command and specify the start point, distance, and direction for each line segment. You can also use relative coordinates to make the process faster and more efficient.
tribdog
I have to draw a line that goes E for 4' S for 2' E for 120' N for 2' E for 4' then N for 1.5'
I can do it, but it seems like I am taking a long time and going through an awful lot of steps. Is there and easy to draw this line?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm.. I use SolidEdge not AutoCAD, but if AutoCAD can draw vectors you can try that, or define a function (which in your case would be dot product of those vectors)

All CAD packages have some way of:

1) Scaling the page. Scale the page so the line fits inside the boundry.
2) Drawing a line from point to point. They all have a way of specifying a start point, a length and a direction. It should be as simple as:
- clicking a "start line"h button,
- moving the cursor to some point on the page and clicking to specify the start point
- specify distance (4') and direction (east = 0 degrees)
- clicking or enter to make the line appear
- repeat for the other lines.

Hope that helps.

basically that is what I'm asking. right now I draw a line then modify it by extending it. On extend I can specify a length I want to know if there is a way to do it in one step.

If you are using AutoCad, use the "@" symbol when typing in your coordinates. The "@" symbol denotes relative position in stead of from the UCS. Start your line at where ever you want, when it asks for the second point (E for 4'), type in "@4,0" or "@48,0" (depending on how you want to do the general units). That way all you have to do is type in the endpoints. Should take about 3 seconds to do.

thank you, you have my undying gratitude.

tribdog said:
I have to draw a line that goes E for 4' S for 2' E for 120' N for 2' E for 4' then N for 1.5'
I can do it, but it seems like I am taking a long time and going through an awful lot of steps. Is there and easy to draw this line?
Yes. Most useful in reducing time is the 'pline' (or 'pl', short for polyline) command, which let's you do the whole thing with one command instead of having to repeatedly use 'line' commands. You can hop to each successive point using either absolute co-ordinates or better still, using relative coords like Fred described above.

You can also use relative polar coordinates [itex]@r<\theta[/itex]. This is useful if you want to go off at non-right angles from your previous spot.

Related to Draw Line Easily: Quick Cad Ques. For E4', S2', E120', N2', E4', N1.5

1. What is "Draw Line Easily"?

"Draw Line Easily" is a quick CAD (Computer-Aided Design) tool used for creating straight lines in a digital environment. It allows users to easily draw lines by entering specific coordinates.

2. How do I use "Draw Line Easily"?

To use "Draw Line Easily", simply enter the coordinates for the starting point and ending point of the line you want to draw. For example, for the given coordinates E4', S2', E120', N2', E4', N1.5", you would enter these values in the tool to create a line from point E4', S2' to point E4', N1.5".

3. Can "Draw Line Easily" be used for curves or arcs?

No, "Draw Line Easily" is specifically designed for creating straight lines. For curves or arcs, you will need to use a different CAD tool.

4. How accurate is "Draw Line Easily"?

"Draw Line Easily" is a highly accurate tool as it allows users to enter specific coordinates for the starting and ending points of the line. However, the accuracy also depends on the precision of the coordinates entered by the user.

5. Is "Draw Line Easily" compatible with all CAD software?

Yes, "Draw Line Easily" can be used with any CAD software that allows users to enter coordinates for line drawing. However, the specific steps for using the tool may vary slightly depending on the software being used.