Draw a bode and nyquist diagrams

In summary, Bode and Nyquist diagrams are graphical representations of the frequency response of a system, commonly used in control systems engineering. To draw a Bode diagram, one must plot the magnitude and phase of the system's transfer function against frequency. The slope of the Bode diagram indicates the order of the system. The Nyquist stability criterion is a graphical method used to determine the stability of a closed-loop control system. However, these diagrams have limitations as they are only applicable to linear time-invariant systems and do not account for transient behavior or non-minimum phase characteristics.
gimini75
I have a task to draw a bode and nyquist diagrams from an expirmential results by using MATLAB, I have the phase delay and the votage gain data (10 results for each), can you help me how to darw bode and nyquist diagrams in MATLAB and which command I can use?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you only need to use "semilogx" plot for drawing the bode plot. To draw the nyquist plot you could use the magnitude and phase to get the complex coordinates, then plot them as usual using "plot".

for your question. I understand the importance of visual aids, such as bode and nyquist diagrams, in representing experimental data. I would be happy to assist you in drawing these diagrams using MATLAB.

To draw a bode diagram in MATLAB, you can use the "bode" command. This command takes in the frequency vector and gain vector as inputs and plots the magnitude and phase response of the system on a logarithmic scale. You can also use the "semilogx" and "semilogy" commands to plot the magnitude and phase response separately.

For the nyquist diagram, you can use the "nyquist" command in MATLAB. This command also takes in the frequency vector and gain vector as inputs and plots the complex frequency response of the system on a polar plot. You can also use the "polar" command to plot the magnitude and phase response separately.

It is important to ensure that your data is properly formatted and organized before using these commands. Additionally, you may need to adjust the axes and labels to make the diagrams more visually appealing and understandable.

I hope this helps you in drawing your bode and nyquist diagrams. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your experiment!

Related to Draw a bode and nyquist diagrams

What are Bode and Nyquist diagrams used for?

Bode and Nyquist diagrams are used to represent the frequency response of a system. They are commonly used in control systems engineering to analyze the stability and performance of a system.

How do you draw a Bode diagram?

To draw a Bode diagram, you need to plot the magnitude and phase of the system's transfer function against frequency. The magnitude is plotted on a logarithmic scale, while the phase is plotted on a linear scale. The resulting curves are then used to analyze the characteristics of the system.

What does the slope of the Bode diagram represent?

The slope of the Bode diagram represents the order of the system. For example, a slope of -20dB/decade indicates a first-order system, while a slope of -40dB/decade indicates a second-order system.

What is the Nyquist stability criterion?

The Nyquist stability criterion is a graphical method used to determine the stability of a closed-loop control system. It involves plotting the frequency response of the open-loop transfer function on a Nyquist diagram and analyzing its encirclements around the critical point (-1,0). The number of encirclements determines the stability of the system.

What are the limitations of the Bode and Nyquist diagrams?

The Bode and Nyquist diagrams are only applicable to linear time-invariant (LTI) systems. They also assume that the system is in steady-state and do not take into account transient behavior. Additionally, these diagrams cannot be used for systems with non-minimum phase characteristics.