Drag care race, finding distance and time

In summary, the problem involves a race between two cars, CAR A and CAR B, with different acceleration rates. CAR B starts 1 second before CAR A, giving it a 3.6 meter lead. To find the time it takes for CAR A to overtake CAR B, the equation d = (initial velocity)(t) + 1/2 (a)(t)^2 is used for both cars, where the initial velocity for CAR A is 0 and the initial velocity for CAR B is 3.6 m/s. Setting these equations equal to each other and solving for t, the time it takes for CAR A to overtake CAR B is approximately 2.95 seconds. The distance traveled by both cars during
Prio
EDIT***: sorry I figured out how to do this problem and don't need help anymore...:\
Disregard and even delete this thread.

Homework Statement

A race-car driver buys a car (CAR A) that can accelerate at +5.9 m/s2 . The racer decides to race against another driver with a car (CAR B) that can move with a constant acceleration of +3.6 m/s2. Both start from rest, but CAR B leaves 1.0 s before the driver of CAR A.

Find the time it takes CAR A to overtake CAR B

Find the distance the two drivers travel during this time.

Find the velocities of both cars when they are side by side.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure if this is what to use, but
Final velocity = Initial velocity + at
or maybe
d = (initial velocity)(t) + 1/2 (a)(t)2

The Attempt at a Solution

Because car B has a 1 second lead, it will have established a 3.6 m lead on car A and already entered acceleration when car A gets off the line. I would think then that car B has an initial velocity of 3.6 while car A's is 0. I'm trying to find t where d1=22

So d1 = 0 + 1/2 (5.9)(t)2
d2 = 3.6 + 1/2 (3.6)(t)2

if these are set equal to equal to each other and the first is solved for t, I get t2=2.95

then I plugged this number into the t2 in the other equation and get 3.6 + 1/2(3.6)(2.95)

= 8.91s

Did I do this right?

vvvvv

EDIT***: sorry I figured out how to do this problem and don't need help anymore...:\
Disregard and even delete this thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can do it this way if you like it.
The distance traveled by the first car in 1 s is not 3.6 m. Look again at your second formula.
Then, when you write again the distance traveled by the first car, it has an initial velocity of 3.6 m/s. You should have this term too (x=xo+vo*t + 1/2 a*t^2)

I am glad to see that you were able to figure out the solution to this problem on your own. It is important for us to use our critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities to tackle challenges and come up with solutions. Keep up the good work! If you have any further questions or need help with any other problems, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Related to Drag care race, finding distance and time

1. How do you measure distance in a drag race?

In a drag race, distance is usually measured from the starting line to the finish line. This can be done using a variety of methods such as using a laser or timing system, or by physically measuring the distance with a measuring tape.

2. What is the average time for a drag race?

The average time for a drag race can vary depending on the length of the track and the type of vehicle being raced. However, in general, a standard quarter-mile drag race can take anywhere from 10 to 15 seconds to complete.

3. How does the weight of a vehicle affect its drag race time?

The weight of a vehicle can have a significant impact on its drag race time. Generally, lighter vehicles will have faster times as they have less mass to accelerate and can reach higher speeds. However, other factors such as engine power and aerodynamics also play a role in the overall time.

4. What is the role of aerodynamics in a drag race?

Aerodynamics plays a crucial role in a drag race as it determines how efficiently a vehicle can move through the air. A vehicle with better aerodynamics will experience less air resistance and therefore can achieve higher speeds and quicker times.

5. How do you calculate the speed in a drag race?

To calculate the speed in a drag race, you will need to know the distance and time it took for the vehicle to travel that distance. The formula for speed is distance divided by time, so speed = distance/time. For example, if a car traveled a quarter-mile in 12 seconds, its speed would be 0.25 miles/12 seconds, or approximately 112 miles per hour.