Dr Henry Heimlich, Inventor of the Famous Maneuver, Passes Away

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
In summary, Dr. Henry Heimlich was an American thoracic surgeon and medical researcher who invented the Heimlich Maneuver, an emergency technique used to save people from choking. He passed away on December 17, 2016, at the age of 96. The Heimlich Maneuver is a first aid technique used to remove foreign objects from the airway. Dr. Heimlich came up with the idea while researching ways to save soldiers during World War II. His legacy is his life-saving invention, which has been credited with saving countless lives and is now a standard first aid procedure taught around the world. He also made significant contributions to the medical field through his research on malaria and asthma treatment.
Physics news on Phys.org
He saved my dog. My black lab was choking on a bone one day, and was in obvious distress, not able to breathe, thinking of the Heimlich maneuver, I slammed the back of my foot (not too hard) into his chest just below where I estimated the bone was stuck. The bone came flying out and he started to breathe.

R.I.P.

Likes DrClaude and Greg Bernhardt

Related to Dr Henry Heimlich, Inventor of the Famous Maneuver, Passes Away

1. Who was Dr. Henry Heimlich?

Dr. Henry Heimlich was an American thoracic surgeon and medical researcher who is best known for inventing the Heimlich Maneuver, an emergency technique used to save people from choking.

2. When did Dr. Henry Heimlich pass away?

Dr. Henry Heimlich passed away on December 17, 2016, at the age of 96.

3. What is the Heimlich Maneuver?

The Heimlich Maneuver is a first aid technique used to save people from choking on foreign objects lodged in their airway. It involves applying pressure to the abdomen to expel the object and clear the airway.

4. How did Dr. Henry Heimlich come up with the idea for the Heimlich Maneuver?

Dr. Henry Heimlich came up with the idea for the Heimlich Maneuver while researching ways to save soldiers during World War II. He observed that soldiers who were drowning in water could be saved by applying pressure to their abdomen to expel the water and clear their airway. He then adapted this technique for choking emergencies.

5. What is Dr. Henry Heimlich's legacy?

Dr. Henry Heimlich's legacy is his life-saving invention, the Heimlich Maneuver. His technique has been credited with saving countless lives and is now a standard first aid procedure taught around the world. He also made significant contributions to the medical field through his research on malaria and the treatment of asthma.