Downward Turbulent Flow in a Vertical Tube: Pressure Change

In summary, the pressure gained by gravity is a term that accounts for the static pressure difference (Δp) required to maintain the same flow rate over a distance along a pipe inclined (+/or declined) at an angle θ.
gamz95
"For a particular flow rate, the pressure drop due to the downward flow of the fluid is
balanced by the pressure gain due to gravity—that is, at this flow rate, the static
pressure in the pipe is independent of the distance along the pipe."

Book says this. Can you explain how the pressure gained by gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
gamz95 said:
"For a particular flow rate, the pressure drop due to the downward flow of the fluid is
balanced by the pressure gain due to gravity—that is, at this flow rate, the static
pressure in the pipe is independent of the distance along the pipe."

Book says this. Can you explain how the pressure gained by gravity?
Here is a hint..
For a tank of fluid, say water, how do you find the pressure at the bottom of the tank?

Pressure= rho*g*h; that is okay. But, rho doesn't change with the height, so how is it possible gaining by gravity?

gamz95 said:
Pressure= rho*g*h; that is okay. But, rho doesn't change with the height, so how is it possible gaining by gravity?
Are you saying that the hydrostatic pressure in a tank does not vary with depth because rho is constant?

No sir. I am okay with that pressure can vary with the height. But what I don't understand is how pressure only affected due to gravity. I had wanted to say gravity, but incidentally I wrote rho.

My problem is with :"by the pressure gain due to gravity"

In your problem, the pressure is not varying at all. The pressure at the top of the tube is atmospheric and the pressure at the bottom of the tube is atmospheric. If you isolate the fluid within the tube as a free body, what are the forces acting on it?

Chet

In that case, gravity forces(weights) and pressure forces acts.

Assume that fluid stands still at vertical position.Let's also say that the top of the tube has a pressure of P2, and the bottom has P1, and P1>P2 ; since it is deeper than top.
Then, assume now fluid starts to move downward; so what properties may change? I assume rho, and g wouldn't change. So how the pressure is gained by gravity?

gamz95 said:
In that case, gravity forces(weights) and pressure forces acts.

Assume that fluid stands still at vertical position.Let's also say that the top of the tube has a pressure of P2, and the bottom has P1, and P1>P2 ; since it is deeper than top.
Then, assume now fluid starts to move downward; so what properties may change? I assume rho, and g wouldn't change. So how the pressure is gained by gravity?
I already told you that the pressures on the top and bottom P1 and P2 are equal, so their net force is zero. Besides the weight of the fluid, what other force is acting on it?

Chet

There is friction forces also?

gamz95 said:
There is friction forces also?
Yes. The viscous shear force at the wall (resulting from the turbulent flow) supports the weight of the fluid.

Likes gamz95
Thank you for your understanding Sir. But why writer referred to the gravity, instead of saying the friction?:)

gamz95 said:
Thank you for your understanding Sir. But why writer referred to the gravity, instead of saying the friction?:)
I have no idea what the writer is referring to. But gravity comes in because it determines the weight of the free body (downward force). The friction force is the upward force in the opposite direction which balances the weight.

The words "Can you explain how the pressure gained by gravity?" makes no sense either grammatically or physically.

So I can't account for what the writer wrote. All I can say is that I have confidence in what I said.

Last edited:
I have an idea of what the book is saying, but I am not positive.
Let's consider laminar flow since we have nice formulas. Turbulent flow will follow the same physical principles, but due to a different velocity profile the equations will be different. For laminar flow in a pipe inclined(+) or declined(-) at angle θ, the flow rate Q is given by:##Q = π⋅D^4⋅\frac{(Δp - ρ⋅g⋅L⋅sin(θ))}{(128⋅μ⋅L)} ##The second term in parenthesis has units of pressure, and so this is (probably) what your book is referring to as the pressure gained due to gravity. Note that if the angle is less than zero we have flow downward, and for a given Q the static pressure difference (Δp) required to maintain the same flow rate is smaller because of the effective pressure contribution due to the gravity term. Also note that if there is no pressure difference (Δp=0) then the L in the numerator cancels the L in the denominator and the flow rate is constant over any distance along the pipe, as your book describes.

Likes gamz95

Related to Downward Turbulent Flow in a Vertical Tube: Pressure Change

1. What is downward turbulent flow in a vertical tube?

Downward turbulent flow in a vertical tube refers to the movement of a fluid downwards through a tube or pipe at high velocities, causing chaotic and unpredictable fluctuations in pressure and flow patterns.

2. What causes the pressure change in downward turbulent flow?

The pressure change in downward turbulent flow is caused by the turbulent mixing of the fluid, which leads to variations in velocity and pressure throughout the flow. This results in fluctuations and changes in pressure along the length of the vertical tube.

3. How does the diameter of the tube affect the pressure change in downward turbulent flow?

The diameter of the tube has a significant impact on the pressure change in downward turbulent flow. A larger diameter tube will have a lower pressure change because there is more space for the fluid to flow, reducing the effects of turbulence. A smaller diameter tube will have a higher pressure change due to the increased resistance to flow and greater turbulence.

4. What is the relationship between velocity and pressure in downward turbulent flow?

The relationship between velocity and pressure in downward turbulent flow is complex and non-linear. Generally, an increase in velocity will lead to a decrease in pressure due to the Bernoulli principle, but in turbulent flow, there are many factors at play that can cause fluctuations and variations in this relationship.

5. How is the pressure change in downward turbulent flow measured?

The pressure change in downward turbulent flow can be measured using pressure sensors placed at different points along the vertical tube. The data from these sensors can then be analyzed to determine the fluctuations and changes in pressure throughout the flow. Other methods, such as flow visualization techniques, can also be used to study the pressure change in more detail.