Is There a Tool to Efficiently Download Articles from a Newspaper's Website?

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Articles
In summary: Most newspapers I know of allow non-subscribers to access some number of articles/ some time period. Once you access an article you could print or make a pdf of it for later.
mech-eng
I would like to download articles of my favorite journalists. But they are in their newspaper's website. There are hundrends of article for one author. Is there a practical way to download a author's articles. I have to click hundreds of times. Is there any program for this case? For years ago I heard a type of programs called vampire programs. They could download the website so that programs' users can surf on that websites offline. Do you have any idea?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
There are command line tools such as curl and wget for linux that can pull down webpages and what they reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CURL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wget

Remember though we don't want to capture copyrighted material.

If you just read them in the future is this related to copyrighted material? Those websites might be shutdown in the future so having an archive would be better. I use windows can I still use them?

Thank you.

That's for you to answer not me. If you feel its wrong then don't do it.

If you plan to post or republish them then that may go over the line.

jedishrfu said:
That's for you to answer not me. If you feel its wrong then don't do it.

If you plan to post or republish them then that may go over the line.

No, I just want them not to be terminated in the future and of course reading them. If the websites shutdown or author leaves from newspaper the articles will be deleted i.e terminated.

Thank you.

Most newspapers I know of allow non-subscribers to access some number of articles/ some time period.
Once you access an article you could print or make a pdf of it for later.

If the author were to leave a newspaper, they would not throw away their old articles.

Likes davenn

1. What is the best way to download newspaper articles?

The best way to download newspaper articles is to use a reputable online database or archive, such as ProQuest or JSTOR. These databases provide access to a wide range of newspapers and allow for easy downloading of articles in various formats, such as PDF or HTML.

2. Can I download newspaper articles for free?

Some newspapers offer free access to their online articles, but this is usually limited to a certain number of articles per month or only includes select articles. For more comprehensive access to newspaper articles, a subscription to an online database or archive may be necessary.

3. How do I ensure that the downloaded newspaper articles are reliable?

To ensure the reliability of downloaded newspaper articles, it is important to use reputable sources and databases. Additionally, checking the credibility of the newspaper or author can also help determine the reliability of the article.

4. Can I download newspaper articles from any time period?

The availability of newspaper articles for download may vary depending on the source or database. Some databases may have archives dating back decades or even centuries, while others may only have recent articles. It is important to check the coverage range of the database before attempting to download articles from a specific time period.

5. What are the advantages of downloading newspaper articles compared to reading them online?

Downloading newspaper articles allows for offline access, making it easier to save and organize articles for future reference. It also provides the option to print articles for physical copies. Additionally, downloading articles from a database may provide access to more in-depth and comprehensive articles compared to online versions.