Doubt with Ampere and Biot-Savart

In summary: Biot-Savart and Ampère-Maxwell concepts and their relation to the magnetic field B. He used both to calculate B near an infinite line and got different expressions. The speaker explains that the Biot-Savart integral was not done correctly and provides the correct formula. In general, the Biot-Savart Law is an integral of the current density, which can be reduced to a line for actual line currents. This is similar to the electric field from charge density. The function (r-r')/4\pi|r-r'|^3 has special significance in 3D space and is known as the Green's function.
atomqwerty
Hello,

I think I'm terribly wrong by supossing Ampère-Maxwell and Biot-Savart are referred to the same concept of magnetic field B. For example, for calculating B near an infinite line, I used both, as I understood them, obtaining different expressions (see image). What is that that I don't get?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0237.jpg
    IMG_0237.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 437
Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't do the Biot-Savart integral right. Let the wire go up the z-axis, and the integral is

[tex]B(\rho) = \int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi} \frac{I e_z \; dz' \times (\rho e_\rho - z' e_z)}{(\rho^2 + {z'}^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

You treated the denominator like it doesn't depend on [itex]z'[/itex], but it does. I write it [itex]z'[/itex] to emphasize that it is the integration variable (not the position we want to find the magnetic field at). Consult a table of integrals to easily find the antiderivative.

In general, for some current density [itex]j[/itex], the Biot-Savart Law is

[tex]B(r) = \int_{V'} \mu_0 j(r') \; dV' \times \frac{r - r'}{4 \pi |r - r'|^3}[/tex]

Actual line currents (not densities) just reduce this integral from a volume to a line. Compare with the electric field from some charge density:

[tex]E(r) = \int_{V'} \frac{\rho(r')}{\epsilon_0} \; dV' \frac{r - r'}{4 \pi |r - r'|^3}[/tex]

for vectors [itex]r, r'[/itex]. You can see these are both really the "same" law. The function [itex](r-r')/4\pi|r-r'|^3[/itex] has special significance in 3D space. Wiki "Green's functions" if you're interested in learning about it.

Thank you very much, that was really helpful, I appreciate it!

Carlos

Related to Doubt with Ampere and Biot-Savart

1. What is the difference between Ampere's law and Biot-Savart law?

Both Ampere's law and Biot-Savart law are used to calculate the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire. However, Ampere's law is based on the concept of a closed loop, while Biot-Savart law is based on the concept of a point in space. Ampere's law is easier to use for symmetrical current distributions, while Biot-Savart law is more accurate for non-symmetrical distributions.

2. Can Biot-Savart law be used to calculate the magnetic field inside a conductor?

No, Biot-Savart law is only applicable to point charges or currents. To calculate the magnetic field inside a conductor, you would need to use the more general form of Ampere's law, which takes into account the current density within the conductor.

3. How do I determine the direction of the magnetic field using Biot-Savart law?

The direction of the magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your right thumb in the direction of the current, and curl your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The direction your fingers curl is the direction of the magnetic field.

4. Is Biot-Savart law only applicable to straight current-carrying wires?

No, Biot-Savart law can be used to calculate the magnetic field produced by any current-carrying element, including curved or coiled wires. However, for complex geometries, the calculation may become more difficult and other methods may be more suitable.

5. How does Biot-Savart law relate to other laws and principles in electromagnetism?

Biot-Savart law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism and is closely related to other laws and principles, such as Coulomb's law, Ampere's law, and Gauss's law. It is often used in conjunction with these laws to fully understand and describe electromagnetic phenomena.