Doubt regarding volume element in Spherical Coordinate

In summary, the expressions ##r^2d(-\cos{\theta})dr d\phi## and ##r^2d(\cos{\theta})dr d\phi## are equivalent and depend on the individual's preference of notation. They can also be transformed into one another using a substitution.
Luca_Mantani

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. Here's my problem. I know that the volume element in spherical coordinate is ##dV=r^2\sin{\theta}drd\theta d\phi##. The problem is that when i have to compute an integral, sometimes is useful to write it like this:
$$r^2d(-\cos{\theta})dr d\phi$$
because ##d(-\cos{\theta})=sin{\theta}d\theta##, but i often find in textbooks and in the internet the following expression:
$$r^2d(\cos{\theta})dr d\phi$$
without the minus sign. In both cases the integration extreme are -1 and +1. Why? I'm trying to understand and it may be even stupid but i can't figure it out.
Thanks for the help!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi everyone. Here's my problem. I know that the volume element in spherical coordinate is ##dV=r^2\sin{\theta}drd\theta d\phi##.

When speaking in a math sense (not a physics sense), the volume element should read ##\text{dV} = \rho^2 \sin(\phi) \space \text{d} \rho \text{d} \theta \text{d} \phi##. Usually we use ##\rho## instead of ##r## to represent radial distance. Also, ##\theta## is the azimuth angle in the plane, and ##\phi## is the polar angle. Most mathematicians use this convention to remain consistent with the polar and cylindrical co-ordinate systems.

See this link for a visual: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system#/media/File:3D_Spherical_2.svg

The problem is that when i have to compute an integral, sometimes is useful to write it like this:
$$r^2d(-\cos{\theta})dr d\phi$$

This will now read: ##\text{dV} = \rho^2 \space \text{d} \rho \text{d} \theta \text{d}(- \cos(\phi))##.

Why would you choose to write it like that? Could you provide an actual problem so we can assist you?

If I'm trying to integrate a function that has a ##\phi## dependence only in the form of ##\cos{\phi}##, i mean ##f(\rho,\theta,\cos{\phi})##, it is useful because then i can make the substitution ##y=-\cos{\phi}## making the integral easier to compute.

In both cases the integration extreme are -1 and +1. Why?

These are the limits for ##\rho## I assume? The limits for ##\rho## would not change I think.

Luca_Mantani said:
If I'm trying to integrate a function that has a ##\phi## dependence only in the form of ##\cos{\phi}##, i mean ##f(\rho,\theta,\cos{\phi})##, it is useful because then i can make the substitution ##y=-\cos{\phi}## making the integral easier to compute.

If you provide us with the exact problem statement, perhaps it would be more clear what is required.

They are equivalent...it just depends on how you look at the integral.
##\int_0^\pi \sin\phi \, d\phi = \int_\pi ^0 - \sin\phi \, d\phi = \int_{\cos \pi } ^ { \cos 0} 1 \, d( \cos \phi ) = \int_{-1 } ^ { 1} 1 \, d( \cos \phi )##
##\int_0^\pi \sin\phi \, d\phi = \int_{-\cos 0 } ^ { -\cos \pi} 1 \, d( -\cos \phi ) = \int_{-1 } ^ { 1} 1 \, d( -\cos \phi )##

RUber said:
They are equivalent...it just depends on how you look at the integral.
##\int_0^\pi \sin\phi \, d\phi = \int_\pi ^0 - \sin\phi \, d\phi = \int_{\cos \pi } ^ { \cos 0} 1 \, d( \cos \phi ) = \int_{-1 } ^ { 1} 1 \, d( \cos \phi )##
##\int_0^\pi \sin\phi \, d\phi = \int_{-\cos 0 } ^ { -\cos \pi} 1 \, d( -\cos \phi ) = \int_{-1 } ^ { 1} 1 \, d( -\cos \phi )##
Great, thank you!

Related to Doubt regarding volume element in Spherical Coordinate

1. What is a volume element in spherical coordinates?

A volume element in spherical coordinates is a small volume element that is used to measure the volume of a three-dimensional space in spherical coordinates. It is a small portion of a sphere with infinitesimal dimensions.

2. How is a volume element calculated in spherical coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, a volume element is calculated by multiplying the radius squared by the sine of the polar angle and then multiplying by the infinitesimal change in the radius, polar angle, and azimuthal angle.

3. Why is there doubt regarding the volume element in spherical coordinates?

There is doubt regarding the volume element in spherical coordinates because the coordinate system is not orthogonal and the volume element is not constant throughout the space. This can lead to errors in calculations and measurements.

4. How can the volume element in spherical coordinates be visualized?

The volume element in spherical coordinates can be visualized as a small wedge-shaped section of a sphere. It is often represented as a small cube or parallelepiped with curved faces.

5. How can the doubt regarding the volume element in spherical coordinates be addressed?

The doubt regarding the volume element in spherical coordinates can be addressed by using a more precise and accurate method of calculation, such as using a triple integral or taking into account the varying volume element in the calculations. It is also important to be aware of the limitations and potential errors in using spherical coordinates for measurements.