Doubt Calculating the Total Displacement for this Person Walking

Remle
Homework Statement
You start walking home from school. After walking 1.3 km North, you get a phone call on your cell from your mom asking if you can meet her at the mall. You will have to turn around and walk 2.5 km South. Determine your distance and displacement to get to the mall.
Relevant Equations
d=df-di
I having a little bit of problem with ##\Delta d = d_f - d_i##. When substituting fo ##d_f## and ##d_i##, should I follow the signs rule (positive or negative)?
For example,
The problem shows that the displacement is ##1.2~\rm{km}, south## by solving ##\Delta d = -2.5 + 1.3## and I get that, but if I use the formula above the equation would appear like this ##\Delta d = -2.5 - 1.3## which gives me ##-3.8~\rm{km}## or ##3.8~\rm{km}, south##.

What am I missing?

source: http://www.studyphysics.ca/2007/20/01_kinematics/08_velocity.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two displacements, one is 1.3 km North and the other is 2.5 km South. The overall displacement is the sum of the two. Note that the displacements have opposite directions so you are adding a positive and a negative number.

Likes Remle
kuruman said:
There are two displacements.
THIS is what I needed. So first displacement is ##\Delta d = 1.3 - 0## and the second is ##\Delta d = 0 - 2.5## so to speak.

Remle said:
THIS is what I needed. So first displacement is ##\Delta d = 1.3 - 0## and the second is ##\Delta d = 0 - 2.5## so to speak.
If you are given two points (a start point and an end point), then the dispalcement is the position vector of the end point minus the position vector of the start point.

But, in this case you are given the displacements, so there is no need for any subtraction:
$$\Delta d_1 = 1.3km, \ \Delta d_2 = - 2.5km$$

Likes Remle
@Remle -- what did you get for the distance answer?

berkeman said:
@Remle -- what did you get for the distance answer?
Sorry for the late response. For the distance since is a scalar just had to add all the numbers. ##d = 1.3 + 2.5 = 3.8~\rm{km}##.

Likes hmmm27 and berkeman
Remle said:
Sorry for the late response. For the distance since is a scalar just had to add all the numbers. ##d = 1.3 + 2.5 = 3.8~\rm{km}##.
No, distance is not a scalar, it is a magnitude. Scalars have sign.
Taking North as positive you can find displacement using scalars: 1.3km+(-2.5)km N = -1.2km N, or 1.2km S.
For distances you add the magnitudes |1.3|+|-2.5|=3.8.

1. How do you calculate the total displacement for a person walking?

The total displacement for a person walking can be calculated by adding up all the individual displacements, or distances, traveled during the journey. This can be done by using a map or measuring the distance with a measuring tool.

2. What factors affect the total displacement for a person walking?

The total displacement for a person walking can be affected by several factors, such as the route taken, the speed at which the person walks, and any obstacles or detours encountered along the way.

3. Is the total displacement the same as the total distance traveled?

No, the total displacement and total distance traveled are not the same. Total displacement is the shortest distance between the starting point and ending point, while total distance traveled is the actual distance covered during the journey.

4. How accurate is the calculation of total displacement for a person walking?

The accuracy of the calculation of total displacement for a person walking depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken. The more precise the measurements, the more accurate the calculation will be.

5. Can the total displacement for a person walking be negative?

Yes, the total displacement for a person walking can be negative. This happens when the person ends up at a point that is behind the starting point, resulting in a negative displacement value.